15mm Villanovan Italian

A place to share painting tips and photos of painted armies and figures
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

15mm Villanovan Italian

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:11 pm

The Villanovan Culture, named after the city where artifacts were first discovered, was the earliest phase of the Etruscan people of Italy. They were related to the broader Urnfield Culture of Europe. In the earlier part of this period the troops were more lightly armored and carried a large oblong “scutum” type shield, fighting as Warband in Triumph! terms. This army represents the later period when chest and back armor, helmets, and large round embossed bronze shields were used by troops now classed in game terms as Warriors.

The army has 15 stands:

1x Battle Taxi
3 x Javelin Cavalry
6 x Warriors
4 x Light Foot
1 x Skirmisher

Battle Taxi

This model is painted to resemble the Monteleone Chariot, dated to 530 B.C. The painting in front (it is embossed bronze on the original) depicts Achilles being handed a set of armor by his mother Thetis. The General wears a distinctive “poncho” style bronze breastplate and wileds a spear. His face and arms are painted red, a style which survived into the Roman era in some ceremonies. The horses mane and tail are dyed blue, as seen on a terracotta horse model recovered from a Villanovan grave.

Javelin Cavalry

These warriors are armed and equipped in chest and back armor with helmets and large round shields. Their horses have blue manes and tails like the commander. The Donnington figures used for this project are older sculpts so some work was done to improve them, mainly making them look less “flat” by adding armor plates on the front or back, a cloak, or slung shield. One was modified to have a Villanovan axe with a curved handle.

Warriors

These figures were largely used “as is” because the Donnington range offers a good variety of infantry poses and the arms, clothing, and equipment are correct. However, most of the spears were replaced with brass rod versions. You can buy figures individually from Donnington, which is a great feature, but I somehow ended up four short. Three mastiff dogs and a dog handler were added to make up the difference. I didn’t find any reference to use of dogs in war by the Villanovans so this is purely speculative.

Light Foot

The Light Foot troops are mainly using the older oval-shaped shields. A few have armor or helmets.

Skirmishers

The list calls for archers or slingers, but I only had two javelinmen so they will have to serve. They are both the same pose but I sculpted a new right arm on one to make them look different.

Summary

This army will make a good opponent for my Urnfield Culture army. The Donnington sculpts are historically accurate, can be bought as individuals, and can be painted to look good on the table but may require extra effort due to their lack of detail. They are compatible in size with the Old Glory figures which make up the bulk of my collection.

Bonus Photo

Villanovan Warriors in battle with the Urnfield Culture.

References:

The Etruscans 9th-12th Century BC, D’Amato and Salimbeti, Osprey 2018