15mm Hebrews

A place to share painting tips and photos of painted armies and figures
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

15mm Hebrews

Post by Texus Maximus » Sat May 28, 2022 10:57 pm

This 15mm army is for the Early Hebrew (1250 BC to 1000 BC) list.The early list represents the Hebrew army several hundred years after the Exodus from Egypt until the time of King David of the united Israelite kingdom of Israel and Judah. There are few contemporary depictions of Hebrews from this time period, so “their appearance has to be surmised with evidence gleaned from neighboring states.” (Stillman and Tallis, 150).

In Triumph! Terms, the army has:

2 x Raiders (Picked Men)
4 x Warbands (Simeonites and Ephraimites fierce fighters)
1 x Bow Levy (Benjaminite Bowmen)
2 x Skirmishers (Benjaminite skirmishing slingers)
6 x Light Foot (Tribesmen with javelins)
Ambush Battle Card
Pack Trains and Herds Battle Card

For a total of 15 elements and two Battle Cards worth a total of 48 points.

Raiders

The “picked men” of Gideon (Judges 7: 4-8) are depicted here as better-equipped warriors. They are wearing simple domed helmets, the lower edges of which are wrapped in cloth with a flap hanging down over one ear. This is based on the illustration of a Hebrew Warrior (11th Century B.C.) from Armies of the Ancient Near East.

They are wearing short-sleeved tunics which reach down to the knees. This clothing style is seen on Hebrew prisoners in the Assyrian reliefs of Sennacherib depicting the siege of Lachish (701 B.C.) in the lowlands of Judea. (Watson, 45) The striped patterns are suggested by the clothing of the “Asiatic” nomads of Syria-Canaan seen in the Beni Hasan wall paintings (1890 B.C,) from Egypt.

The plain round medium-sized shield is taken from the Armies of the Ancient Near East. This book also mentions that David’s “Mighty Men” may have also worn a scale or lamellar corslet, similar to that worn by Mitanni charioteers. (Stillman and Tallis, 150).

The command stand has a priest blowing a curved horn and wearing a robe and kind of cloak draped over his shoulders similar to the Hebrew tribute bearers seen on Shalmeneser’s Black Obelisk from 825 B.C. I assumed that the more elaborate Temple garments would not be worn in the field. I could not find any information on standard bearers, so I opted to omit them entirely.

Warbands

These fierce fighters wear a mix of headgear. The helmets are similar to those of the picked men. Others wear a kind of peaked cap, with the top of the cap flopped down towards the rear. (Watson, 45) They are wearing leather bands of armor across the abdomen, similar to the type of armor seen worn by some Canaanite and Syrian troops of the 15th to 13th centuries B.C. (Stillman and Tallis, 144). The shields are similar to those of the packed men. Each one carries a sword like those of the Sea Peoples (Stillman and Tallis, 149).

These troops have blue flowers on the base to help distinguish them from the Light Foot.

Bow Levy and Skirmishers

The Bible mentions archers in battle in several places, in particular “The Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh….able-bodied men who could handle shield and sword, who could use a bow, and who were trained for battle” (1 Chronicles 5:18).

The Bible also mentions “... there were seven hundred select troops who were left-handed, each of whom could sling a stone at a hair and not miss” (Judges 20:16). These slinger figures, being youths, are rebelling against tradition and using their slings right-handed.

There is also some pictorial evidence to be found on the Lachish relief, which shows at least one Hebrew archer and a figure throwing a stone.

Light Foot

These lightly armed troops are using a mix of equipment and wearing a wider variety of clothing reflective of Egypt, Canaan, and Syria. Some have Egyptian shields and armor, from either having served in the Egyptian military (Gabriel, 68) or being taken in battle and put to use. Others have plain wicker shields.

Notes on Figures

All figures are by Old Glory except for the Skirmishers.

The Raiders are converted Sudanese spearmen, except for the trumpeter who is a converted Old Glory Assyrian or Hittite I think . The General is an Assyrian officer. The priest is a converted Syrian City States command figure.

The Warband are almost all Sherden figures, marketed by Old Glory as “Egyptian Guardsmen”. One, a trumpet-blower, as a converted Hittite command figure.

The bowmen are converted Kharu archers and another Syrian City States command figure. The skirmishers are unmodified Donnington Maccabeans.

The Light Foot are a mix of Amorite, Canaanite, and other Old Glory figures.

References:
Armies of the Ancient Near East. Stillman and Tallis. WRG, 1984
Costumes of the Old Testament Peoples. Watson, Phillip J. Chelsea House, 1984
The Military History of Ancient Israel. Gabriel, Richard . Praeger Publishers, 2003
The One Year Chronological Bible (New International Version) Tyndale House Publishers, 1995.
Last edited by Texus Maximus on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Re: 15mm Hebrews

Post by Gregorius » Sun May 29, 2022 2:18 am

A very handsome looking army Paul.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Sun May 29, 2022 3:57 am

Nice!!!!!!!!!!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:50 pm

The Later Hebrew list allows for on element of "Bad Horse", which are described as Arab camelmen. Essex makes some exvellent Midianite camel troops that would fit the requirement, but I already have a Midianite army and wanted to make this element stand out. I had some Seleucid camel troops, and after looking at them closely I thought they could be converted to look like Hebrews. Here is what I started with:

The figures are stuck on the base in random order in a straight line.

The changes made were:
  • Bare heads had a variety of headgear added; flat "turban" with flap hanging down one side, conical helmet with cloth wrapping and cloth hanging down the side, and an Assyrian helmet modified with cloth edging.
  • Greek-style shoulder armor cut off and replaced with Mitanni-style scale armor
  • Pteruges filed off sleeves and lower garment
  • Cast spears replaced with brass
  • Sashes added around waist
  • Trousers and boots converted to bare legs
  • Filled akwward gaps between saddle cloth and camel.

After conversions and better positioning on the stand:

Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:28 pm

Here are the finished camelry.

Next up will be three Chariots and two Bow Levy to complete the Later Hebrews army.
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:12 pm

The Later Hebrew army list (1000 B.C. to 587 B.C.) allows different Chariot options in addition to the camelry unit. The chariot units here are Old Glory brand from their "Syrian City States" range.

The chariots and horse equipment are done in the New Kingdom Egyptian style while the crew are wearing Mitanni-style scale armor. Assyrian-style equipment would work also; the Assyrian relief showing the sack of Lachish in 701 B.C. shows a Judean soldier wearing Assyrian boots and socks and carying an Assyrian shield but wearing Hebew clothing and headwear (Stillman and Tallis, page 184). I modified the crossed bow and arrow case to make them a sinple upright quiver in order to make them look a little different from Egyptian gear.

The Bow Levy are Arab allies and Canaanites. The Canaanites are Old Glory Hittite figures wearing boots and given Hebrew-style headgear.
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:46 am

Paul,

These are lovely armies with some really great conversions. As i work my way through our Venexia biblicals I may need some help.

Could you comment on the reins you used for the chariots? They are twisted together?
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:30 pm

Bill Hupp wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:46 am
Could you comment on the reins you used for the chariots? They are twisted together?
I drill a hole in the charioteers hand using a Dremel tool. Then I take a doubled piece of sewing thread and insert the loop through the hands. Once it extends a few millimeters below the hands, I use superglue to secure it. The next step is to twist the thread and coat it with white glue. I do this to give it more strength, make it coil a little, and to make it easier to see.

Later the end of the reins will simply be tied off on the yoke and superglued. I used to try to do individual reins going to each horse, but never thought it looked right and ended up with superglue all over the horse. Plus I was always worried that it might break.
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:52 pm

Thanks Paul. I’m going to copy that.
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures