Have you tried a Bronze Age / Bilical era game yet?

Anything else related to historical accounts and opinion regarding armies and their battles
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Have you tried a Bronze Age / Bilical era game yet?

Post by Rod » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:57 pm

So one of the things I really like about Triumph is how Bronze Age / Biblical era play.

We have run multiple Kadesh battles using Triumph. The way Triumph models Chariots and Battle Taxi's works really well with all the new "low quality troops" like Rabble and Bow Levy.

Chariots either plowing through the swarms of peasant infantry or bouncing off the more steady elite foot. Swirling chariot battles on the open plains..... Really looking forward to the Historicon themed battles!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Re: Have you tried a Bronze Age / Bilical era game yet?

Post by Texus Maximus » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:53 pm

Not yet, but I am steadily working on getting the first two armies listed on Meshwesh (Sumerians and Nomadic Amurru) ready for action. It is slow going because I didn't have any troops I can convert from other game systems.

I am interested to see how battles between mobs of bow levy, light foot, and rabble turn out. My guess is that the relatively low combat values will mean stands get destroyed at a faster rate because it is easier to double them.
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:20 pm

I think you are right about the nature of the battles.

We did a DBA Biblical Armies tournament at Adepticon, pre- Triumph! It was very enjoyable, we got 16 players, and the Egyptians did not dominate as much as one might guess. Two other observations:
1- There’s no real formula for how to use chariots. Some used them on the flanks like Cavalry, others like Knights up the middle. They are just deep enough to effect their ability to maneuver with just a minimal amount of terrain.
2- People are fascinated by Chariots and even 15mm chariots attract attention from people passing by.

There is a little more rebasing than ‘normal’ for biblical armies due to the increase in crap troops.
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Big difference between DBA and Triumph though, DBA did not have Chariots :P They were just Cavalry or Knights on square bases. So the tactics would be similar to medieval armies.

In Triumph they work a quite a bit differently and it is often useful to use them in combination with the foot troops because they are open order you can use those "crappy" troops like Bow Levy and Rabble as chariot runners to screen the Chariots until they are ready to strike.
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:37 pm

You are right it is different.

If it was fun and attractive in the past to non-DBA gamers, it should be even better now.
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures