Piston Campaign (2 Player)

A place to discuss historical battles, scenarios and campaigns
AlexiusBasileus
Grand Master WGC

Piston Campaign (2 Player)

Post by AlexiusBasileus » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:36 pm

I wanted to let you all know that there is a free Triumph! "Piston Campaign" download available at https://shop.wildfabrum.com/collections/free-downloads

What is a Piston Campaign? I'm sure some of you remember this idea floating around from legacy games. The "piston" is a track of spaces (provinces, regions, counties, or whatever) each of which represents a place in which a Triumph! battle can be fought. Two opponents each have capitals at the end of the track. Winning a battle moves the next battle one space closer to the loser's capital. The campaign ends when someone loses a battle at their capital.

The purpose of the game is to provide two players a way to tie together a series of Triumph! games into a story. "You may have defeated me at the first battle of Themiscyra, but I will be victorious at the second." It's not too serious, just a fun way to string some battles together on a single game night or over a series of game nights.

Between two evenly matched players, the game can swing back and forth for a while. To add some spice, the Piston Campaign rules contain some variants to make the story more interesting (and sometimes harder). The variants included are:
Grinding Doom
Last Ditch Defense
Where's the War Chest
Visiting Fireman
Kaleidoscope of Time

And of course there are some rules for Fantasy Triumph! campaigns also. Piston Campaigns is not a WGC product. It's much more lightweight than the official Campaign Rules designed for multiple players. Its perfect for a couple of players facing off for a series of games. I've had fun with it as a way to keep a thread going between weekly battles at my local game store.
chriscoz
Levy

Re: Piston Campaign (2 Player)

Post by chriscoz » Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:49 pm

I took this campaign and made a few small adjustments for three players. Set up on a triangle map, each player has two armies and can attack either or both opponents during each turn. A player has two moves. However, I added a 10-point reinforcement in each capital that can reinforce an army in the field (adding points to bring it to full strength). And reinforcing counts as a move. So a player can choose to reinforce instead of attacking and moving forward. Play on playing it next weekend, and we'll see how it goes.
Chris Cosentino
chriscoz18@gmail.com