Sicily campaign kicks off

A place to discuss historical battles, scenarios and campaigns
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Re: Sicily campaign kicks off

Post by Brummbär » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:41 am

Great!
Can't wait to do our round here with the guys.

Thanks for all the inspiration!
:P
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:06 am

Did a small „upgrade“ on the map I want to use:
41F1E474-3199-442F-A440-F4F0B9833FCD.jpeg
41F1E474-3199-442F-A440-F4F0B9833FCD.jpeg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 4190 times

And I have a question according the victory conditions: do you only check the prestige points the players have at the end? Or do you also add in the values of the garrisons the players have in the different cities (geographical influence 😎)?

Thanks!
//Thomas
Roundie
Squire

Post by Roundie » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:52 am

Nice map upgrade.

We didn't add garrison points to our final prestige point count.
This was because we wanted the main focus of our campaign to be fighting battles.
If players could stash their prestige points in city garrisons, then I think the campaign would shift to focusing on sieges, not battles.
That said, these campaign ideas were very much a throw-together system so feel free to count garrisons if you want.

R
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:16 pm

Good point!
Thanks for the answer...

//Thomas
Roundie
Squire

Post by Roundie » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:25 am

There is plenty of room for tweaking the rules to suit what you want in a campaign.
We had a ton of extra ideas to add but in the end, decided to keep it simple.

We found the following things in our 1st play-through of the campaign.

1) Most of the time players were strapped for prestige points and had to balance where they spent them.
Be it, saving them up to win, installing garrisons or improving their chances of raising fresh troops.
This I believe was a good thing as it forced players to fight battles to gain prestige. Not get sidetracked building garrisons and big armies.
2) Due to time & cost we found garrisons were best placed only in Key cities where they could block lines of march and supply.
3) Most of our games had large win margins (eg 18-9, 16-6 etc). So the loser generally lost all of their prestige points. In a strange way, this helped balance the campaign. A player with a weak/beaten army generally had no prestige points. Someone with no prestige points wasn't worth picking a fight with. Especially if you had points to lose and they didn't.

I think we are going to move to Spain (Punic wars) for our next run-through.

Keen to hear how your campaign goes and about any chances/adds you would make to improve the rules.

Wayne
Roundie
Squire

Post by Roundie » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:10 pm

It took a while but I finally posted the conclusion of our campaign (sorry Rob, lol).

https://miniatureaddiction.info/sicily- ... 11-and-12/
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:42 pm

I somehow missed this; very high quality work! The painting is superb and looks like a proper army on those big bases. The presentation is also excellent - it really showcases the figures with some great photos and beautiful graphics on those maps. You have set a high standard!