Byzantine Akontistai and Menavlatoi

A place to share information about figures and other models
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Byzantine Akontistai and Menavlatoi

Post by David Kuijt » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Does anyone have a source for what the Akontistai (light foot) of the Nikephorian Byzantines would look like? Or who makes foot figures that would work for those, compatible with Essex Byzantines (who form the rest of my Nikkie Byz army)?

ADA figures 7 and 17 (mostly 17) seem the most useful -- dudes with javelins and bucklers (12" round shields).

Oh, and does anyone make figures for Menavlatoi?
DK
markleslie4
Squire

Re: Byzantine Akontistai and Menavlatoi

Post by markleslie4 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:04 am

I also have this army and if I were going to try to add figures to it from another range I might try the Dark Ages Isarus range from Alternative Armies.
https://www.alternative-armies.com/
They have some Byzantines that with a half decent paint job would, probably (I don't have any), fit well. No Menavlatoi.

Khurusan miniatures have a Menavlatoi pack listed on their site but no picture, however here is something back from before they were released.

I believe Forged in Battle Dark Ages kickstarter will be released to the general public at some point this year and I thought I saw a Menavlatoi amongst their Byzantines.
My experience with their Ancient Italians would suggest it's a bit of a toss up if they would be compatible with the Essex Byzantines, some are Xyston large, some work well with Old Glory.
Thief. Reaver. Slayer.
Andreas Johansson
Companion-at-Arms

Re: Byzantine Akontistai and Menavlatoi

Post by Andreas Johansson » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:49 am

markleslie4 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:04 am
I believe Forged in Battle Dark Ages kickstarter will be released to the general public at some point this year and I thought I saw a Menavlatoi amongst their Byzantines.
As a KS backer I can confirm they've got some in the Thematic range. Spelled "Menulavtoi" to make them easy to find :?

They also have javelinmen, both Thematic and Nicephorian, but only sold mixed with slingers.

The pack sizes of 24 are not very Triumph!-friendly.