Figure size comparison

A place to share information about figures and other models
MarkBurton
Levy

Figure size comparison

Post by MarkBurton » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:06 pm

Does anybody know how 15mm Legio Heroica compare to 15mm Old Glory size-wise?
Andreas Johansson
Companion-at-Arms

Re: Figure size comparison

Post by Andreas Johansson » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:32 pm

MarkBurton wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:06 pm
Does anybody know how 15mm Legio Heroica compare to 15mm Old Glory size-wise?
I don't have any OG figures, but the LH ones I have are quite large: significantly larger than Donnington New Era or Essex, say. About 17mm to the eye.
Vic
Levy

Post by Vic » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:10 am

I concur with Andrea - Legio Heroica are quite large, even for modern 15mm standards.

A couple of days ago I compared them with Freikorp15 Koori (true 15mm) and Legio Heroica minis were their entire head taller - [Edit: to make myself clear - 19-20mm in total from bottom of the base under the feet to the top of the headwear, so perhaps larger than other "modern" 15mm but not incompatibly so]
Last edited by Vic on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Vic
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:29 pm

I'm not entirely supporting earlier posts -- I've got lots of armies, and if I recall correctly, my LH armies are not unusually big in the modern era (say any figures newly manufactured in the last 15 years). I don't ever compare to "old style" 15s ("true" 15s) because I don't have any armies made of Chariot or old Freikorps.

More about this later -- I have to give a final exam in two minutes. Yipes, 1 minute!
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:32 pm

David Kuijt wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:29 pm
More about this later -- I have to give a final exam in two minutes. Yipes, 1 minute!
Okay, no guarantees about other ranges (as readers will probably be aware, different ranges can be different sizes even within a single manufacturer or a single sculptor's work).

With that said, I've put together a very large Fatamid / Syrian morph using Legio Heroica's MUS range (Muslims). They are beautiful figures, and not oversized. I'd recommend them highly.

Whether other ranges are good or not, I cannot say. But my Fatties are good enough that they are among my finest figures (and my best armies) and better than any other figures currently available in that period and geography. IMO.
DK
Vic
Levy

Post by Vic » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Definitely gorgeous figures and I can't recommend them enough!
- Vic
Andreas Johansson
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Andreas Johansson » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:06 pm

The figures I've got are from the Viking and Saxon ranges.

Apart from towering above my Donnington New Era vikings, they've got a distinctive style with big heads which looks odd if put next to more anatomically realistic figures, but allows for nicely characterful faces. It's just about possible to squeeze them onto 40mm frontage bases. All in all they're nice in themselves but don't mix well with anything else I've got.

(In a way, the thing I've got that they resemble the most are my Mick Yarrow Sea People, who are also tall and bulky with strongly oversize heads, but the LH ones have far better sculpting.)