Meshwesh minor errors and typos continued (from Oct 5, 2021)

A place to talk about MESHWESH army lists
admin
Site Admin

Meshwesh minor errors and typos continued (from Oct 5, 2021)

Post by admin » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:44 pm

I have locked the old topic for Meshwesh adjustment suggestions and started a new one. The old one was getting unwieldy and should still be available for viewing. We recently made some significant modifications to the data on Meshwesh, so it seemed a good time to start a new thread for further possible improvements to the data.
Thanks for your feedback and support!

DS
JonathanJ
Squire

Re: Meshwesh minor errors and typos continued (from Oct 5, 2021)

Post by JonathanJ » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:05 pm

The Nikaian Byzantine general must be javelin cavalry, but the only entry for javelin cavalry is a 0-1 option. This doesn't seem right.
JonathanJ
Squire

Post by JonathanJ » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:17 pm

In the Early Hoplite Greek list, is it intended that Athens can take allied Thessalian horsemen in addition to their own Thessalian horsemen?

For that matter, why are the Athens options even in the list when Athens has its own Early Hoplite list?
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:23 pm

JonathanJ wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:05 pm
The Nikaian Byzantine general must be javelin cavalry, but the only entry for javelin cavalry is a 0-1 option. This doesn't seem right.
Good catch. I'll fix.
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:28 pm

JonathanJ wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:17 pm
In the Early Hoplite Greek list, is it intended that Athens can take allied Thessalian horsemen in addition to their own Thessalian horsemen?

For that matter, why are the Athens options even in the list when Athens has its own Early Hoplite list?
What Athens options? Are you talking about the Allied Contingent that can be taken? I don't see any other Athenians in the Thessalian list.

If you're talking about the Allied contingent, note that there are rules for Allies distinguishing them from regular (non-Ally) stands. See six or eight places in the rules (look under Allied Contingent in the index)
DK
JonathanJ
Squire

Post by JonathanJ » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:08 pm

Yes, I meant the optional contingent. I should have realized that using "allied", as in "Allied Thessalian Cavalry", would lead to confusion.

I meant to ask if Athens is allowed to take their own Thessalian horsemen as well as the optional contingent of Thessalian horsemen (allowing them up to 4 elements of javelin cavalry). This seems like a lot of javelin cavalry for early hoplite Athens.

It seemed like allowing both might have been a mistake. Not being an expert on early hoplite armies, I didn't know if it was intended or not.

I am curious why the Athens only options are in the list though, since early hoplite Athens has its own list.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:19 pm

JonathanJ wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:08 pm
Yes, I meant the optional contingent. I should have realized that using "allied", as in "Allied Thessalian Cavalry", would lead to confusion.

I meant to ask if Athens is allowed to take their own Thessalian horsemen as well as the optional contingent of Thessalian horsemen (allowing them up to 4 elements of javelin cavalry). This seems like a lot of javelin cavalry for early hoplite Athens.

It seemed like allowing both might have been a mistake. Not being an expert on early hoplite armies, I didn't know if it was intended or not.

I am curious why the Athens only options are in the list though, since early hoplite Athens has its own list.
Are you sure you're looking at the Early Hoplite list? I don't see any Thessalian horsemen in the Early Hoplites. Nor do I see some of that other stuff you're seeing. Nor do I see it in the Later Hoplite Athens list.

So let's start over. Which army list are you talking about?
DK
JonathanJ
Squire

Post by JonathanJ » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:46 pm

Hmm... strange...

David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:58 pm

JonathanJ wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:46 pm
Hmm... strange...
Ah, I see -- that isn't the Early Hoplite ATHENS list, that's the Early Hoplite everyone-else list.

Which leads to the question, "why does it have only Athens stuff in it" -- and it should not. So the error in the list was that generic EHG should not have those things -- Athens, as you pointed out elsewhere, has its own list.
DK
JonathanJ
Squire

Post by JonathanJ » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:48 pm

Ah, perfect. Thanks for the clarification and sorry for all the confusion.