Early Imperial Roman Auxilia as Raiders

A place to talk about MESHWESH army lists
MarkusB
Squire

Re: Early Imperial Roman Auxilia as Raiders

Post by MarkusB » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:24 am

David Kuijt wrote:
MarkusB wrote: But the point is that you only get a good share of roman light infantry from the turning point of the 2nd punic war to the end of the polybian roman list (up to 4 stands of velites). You don't get to choose in the EIR list, as you have 2-6 stands of raiders (auxilia) and 0-2 stands of light infantry (probably some other clientes). Later on (post-Severan) you get around the same number of Raiders and LInf. So, the main problem is with the EIR list- which fought overenthusiastic barbarian troops quite a bit.
Don't get confused with the name "Auxilia" -- the EIR period auxilia were more heavily armored than Viking Huscarles. And better trained. And the main forces fighting against Gallic warband/warrior are Camillans, Polybians, and Marian Romans -- the Marians have nothing but Elite Foot and the rare Heavy Foot. EIR period auxilia are not heavy "Light Foot" -- they are really slightly more mobile Elite Foot in the Marian tradition, with the same armor and shields that the Marian Elite Foot had.

The EIR list fought a bunch of Germans and British and Dacians, sure. But with the change mentioned earlier (Warband/Warrior don't shatter Raiders in difficult terrain) the EIR list should be able to fight with relatively even chances against them. And importantly, do so in historical ways.
Sure, I'll give it a spin ASAP. My comment was in response to Fab's intention of choosing between Light Infantry and Raiders when fighting warriors/warbands: my point was that with most Roman lists you can't, it's either LI or Raiders, (and I agree with Fab that LI seemed a better counter to barbarians without the new rule). But, I just noticed that the Severan list allows auxilia to be either raiders or LI: maybe Fab was referring to this.
Fab
Squire

Re: Early Imperial Roman Auxilia as Raiders

Post by Fab » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:52 pm

MarkusB wrote: Sure, I'll give it a spin ASAP. My comment was in response to Fab's intention of choosing between Light Infantry and Raiders when fighting warriors/warbands: my point was that with most Roman lists you can't, it's either LI or Raiders, (and I agree with Fab that LI seemed a better counter to barbarians without the new rule). But, I just noticed that the Severan list allows auxilia to be either raiders or LI: maybe Fab was referring to this.
Yes, I was referring to a list where a choice is possible and my comment was just from a gamer standpoint, nothing more.

If I can choose I know what to choose. :D

Cheers
Fab