Nepalese

A place to talk about MESHWESH army lists
Andreas Johansson
Companion-at-Arms

Nepalese

Post by Andreas Johansson » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:13 pm

Triumph follows hallowed wargamer tradition in allowing plentiful Nepalese allies in Tibetan armies, but not having any separate Nepalese list.

Is there any particular reason for this though? If we're confident a Nepalese allied contingent should consist of Horse Bow, Raiders, and Skirmishers (AFAIK the sources this contingent is based on only actually mention cavalry), why not have a separate Nepalese list consisting of more of the same? Something like:

Horse Bow 6-12
Raiders 0-3
Skirmishers 0-4

General's type = Horse Bow, invasion rating = low, manoeuvre rating = whatever's appropriate for an irregular mostly cavalry force we don't really know anything much about.

Date range: Well, I guess this is where the real arbitrariness starts, but minimally the time they're allowed as allies. Seems unlikely (given what their southern neighbours were doing) they adopted horse archery before the Saka invasions (2C BC), so that might give a terminus post quem of sorts. There's a report that in Nepal "all the people were Turks[!] [and] archers" in the early 13C, so presumably horse archery was still in vogue then. (The same source also claims that men and horses wore bamboo armour, so perhaps we shouldn't trust it too far.)

Enemies: Kanauj Empire and Other Hindu Indian. Possibly Classical Indian and Later Muslim Indian depending on date range. Likely Tibet, on geographical grounds if nothing else.
Andreas Johansson
Companion-at-Arms

Re: Nepalese

Post by Andreas Johansson » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:24 am

*bump*

Any thoughts on this?
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Andreas Johansson wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:24 am
*bump*

Any thoughts on this?
Had completely forgotten about it. I'll take a look at it in ten days or so, when my semester is over (currently flooded with running finals review, then finals, and massive amount of grading).
DK
FanatiChris
Squire

Post by FanatiChris » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:01 pm

I found one obscure source online that suggested Medieval Nepalese kings/princes (and there were 27 of them at one point) had standing forces of elephant riders, horse riders and footmen, but when the home turf was threatened, that most of their army would be comprised of a feudal mobilization of all men aged 12 to 80 called something like a kajit and which I took to be equivalent to Triumph horde.
Andreas Johansson
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Andreas Johansson » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:32 am

Did you ever get around to looking at this? :)