First Bulgar Empire

A place to talk about MESHWESH army lists
FanatiChris
Squire

First Bulgar Empire

Post by FanatiChris » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:07 pm

I'm starting to get the itch to collect a new army, and seem to be inclined toward the First Bulgar Empire, https://meshwesh.wgcwar.com/armyList/5f ... 11/explore

Its a bit off the beaten path, which Iis where my interests usually lie. It is also an interesting list with a mix of Knights and Horse Bow, with a strong contingent of Heavy Foot instead of Rabble and a reasonable number of historical opponents. Three basic element types and not too many different moving parts to keep track off, so easier to develop a reasonable battle plan.

Was thinking about using Forged in Battle figures from their Horde range, with Asiatic Noble Cavalry for the Knights, Bulgar and Magyar LH for the horse bow, and Slavs for the heavy foot. Might add enough Horse Bow elements plus a Horde or two so that I can morph it into Volga Bulgar.

Welcome any thoughts or suggestions. Any other figures you would recommend?
Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Re: First Bulgar Empire

Post by Gregorius » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:58 pm

Chris, I think that you are heading down the right track in using FiB figures for your new project.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
vodnik
Squire

Post by vodnik » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:26 am

...after the fall of the Huns, the Bulgarians were able to regroup as a pure cavalry horde. Decades later, together with Slavic tribes, a small Bulgarian kingdom arose. But Volga Bulgarians did not exist until centuries later. But the idea of a Bulgarian army is great...
...Hanta Yo!..
paulgpotter
Squire

Post by paulgpotter » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:59 pm

Hey Chris, how goes the first bulgar empire project. Cool army, I just played a game with them last week.