Babylonian-Hittite-Elimite-Medes army info

A place to talk about MESHWESH army lists
Roundie
Levy

Babylonian-Hittite-Elimite-Medes army info

Post by Roundie » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:43 pm

Hi
Can anyone recommend any good resources for the ancient armies listed in the title?

I'm currently rebasing/repainting my old 28mm Assyrian figures at the moment and have enough to build both an Assyrian and Babylonian army.

Can't seem to find anything online about the look of the Babylonians or Medes

So any help would be welcome

cheers
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Babylonian-Hittite-Elimite-Medes army info

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:00 pm

Roundie wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:43 pm
Hi
Can anyone recommend any good resources for the ancient armies listed in the title?

I'm currently rebasing/repainting my old 28mm Assyrian figures at the moment and have enough to build both an Assyrian and Babylonian army.

Can't seem to find anything online about the look of the Babylonians or Medes
Your best sources are the various stone wallcarving decorations of the Assyrian palaces, many of them at the British Museum. They're full of battle images. I suspect that the majority of them are online these days -- I've got some books I can recommend, if you can't find anything appropriate.

Search on "Assyrian wall reliefs" possibly with "british museum" added.
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Babylonian-Hittite-Elimite-Medes army info

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:05 pm

Note that the Elamites appear as opponents in some of these reliefs. For Babylonians, they should be a mix of Elamite and Assyrian -- their ruling class was Assyrian, and their main base population Elamite, IIRC.

The Hittites didn't exist at that point -- a number of smaller Neo-Hittite powers existed in Anatolia and northern Syria after the fall of Hattusas, but those have all essentially disappeared by the rise of Big Assyria (8th and 7th centuries BC).
DK