Close order foot on 20mm deep stands...

Anything else related to the TRIUMPH! rules
zendor
Levy

Close order foot on 20mm deep stands...

Post by zendor » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:39 pm

Greetings to all,

little by little we're moving on to Triumph!. However we ran into an unexpected situation. Many of our miniatures of close order foot (legionaries, celtic warriors, hoplites, etc) are mounted on the stands with 20mm depth because they were originally based for a different game system. In Triumph, the depth is defined strictly and as I understand it right, the depth plays a considerable role in the game. First of all because the fall backs distance is strictly equal to the stand depth. So, it becomes critically important how far the rear corner of the stand has moved and does it meet any other stand with this fall back or panic move.
In this regard, I have a question. Is it possible to adapt the game somehow without mass re-basing of our ready-made close order infantry?
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Re: Close order foot on 20mm deep stands...

Post by Bill Hupp » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:24 am

It's an additional thing to measure (15mm vs. 20mm) during the game, but you should go with it until you can/want to rebase. I'd suggest having a couople of blank 15mm deep bases to use help in the measurement process

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:57 am

zendor wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:39 pm
In this regard, I have a question. Is it possible to adapt the game somehow without mass re-basing of our ready-made close order infantry?
If your army is based differently from Triumph, then no, there is no "natural" way to avoid rebasing and still use the game as written.

It's easy enough to do what Bill suggests and just use a 15mm stand to measure fall-backs and stuff. That's not going to be perfect, because there are a bunch of small details that will be different --columns of close-order troops will behave slightly differently, for example. But it is close enough to have an enjoyable game without major stress.
DK
zendor
Levy

Post by zendor » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:18 pm

Thank you Bill, the idea with blank deep bases of the right size is useful. :geek:

But what to do with the moving of the rear corners and rear edge of the stand? After the fall back 20mm deep stand will become 5mm further than 15mm deep stand and it can meet someone... :?
However I understood the main idea that only rebasing can solve this problem.
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:30 am

Almost all of us have played Triumph! With some troops still based for the legacy system. The games were still fun and we learned the rules. So just playing with your armies as is should be fine with or without trying to adjust for the 5mm difference. But as David says you can’t really adjust for everything.

To be clear, I still use some incorrectly based 54mm armies to teach the basics of the game. They are matched opponents and I haven’t noticed anything too odd in the games caused by the depth issue.
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
paulgpotter
Squire

Post by paulgpotter » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:15 am

I do not use any 15mm deep bases for 15mm. The narrowest base I use is 20mm deep. I think the rules make some alloance for this as there is a statement about using deeper bases for larger figs. I almost exclusivly use 18mm figs and some of these are difficult to fit on a 15mm deep base.
coopman
Levy

Post by coopman » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:53 pm

I use 60 x 30 for my 28mm close order foot to get a bit more room.