Terrain and troop type cards

Anything else related to the TRIUMPH! rules
MarkusB
Squire

Terrain and troop type cards

Post by MarkusB » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:17 pm

Hi guys,

I'm posting this just in case someone finds it useful.

I've noticed that once you're familiar with a given army and its factors, you barely have to reference anything at all during a game. Which is great! Pre-battle setup however definitely requires to check tables etc... Of course WGC's terrain cards would help immensely (I'm still using the D66 roll with my printed PDF copy), but even then I'd need to have the terrain types table at hand. Also, when introducing new players to the game, explaining the rules for all terrain types might be slow and/or confusing.

So I've put together these terrain-type cards, which contain all the information you need to prepare the battlefield (number of pieces per 2D6 result, coast allowed/NA, terrain types and effects). I've themed them for the two armies we're using at the moment, but of course one could make a generic set with no fluff.
TerrainTypeCards.jpg
TerrainTypeCards.jpg (280.32 KiB) Viewed 6824 times
In the same vein, I've noticed that explaining the rule basics is very straightforward and quick. What takes time to explain and/or internalize to the point where you don't need to look up anything during a game are all the exceptions per troop type (i.e. mostly the combat results exceptions). So I've prepared some troop-type cards which (I think) contain all the pieces of information I might forget in the heat of the battle. As you can see, even a 'complicated' troop type like Skirmishers can be condensed in this format. They're not army-themed at the moment, for two reasons: I want to test them first, and I think adding themed images/symbols might make them less readable. One advantage of these cards, I think, is that you'd just need to bring to the table those corresponding to troop types actually fighting on table. No information overload for newbies, and no more scanning through war wagons exceptions while fighting at Chaeronea :D !
TrTypes.jpg
TrTypes.jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 6824 times
If you're interested, I have the .svg templates for both types of cards.
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Re: Terrain and troop type cards

Post by Brummbär » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:30 pm

That looks fabulous!
Interested? Indeed!!! 8-)
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:42 pm

I love those terrain cards, Markus. Beautiful, and effective!
DK
Dekelia
Levy

Post by Dekelia » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:12 pm

Those are awsome! Well done!
Maerk
Levy

Post by Maerk » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Markus - your terrain cards are very elegant and add colour to the setup phase of the game! I will certainly try to imitate your work :oops:
MarkusB
Squire

Post by MarkusB » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:24 pm

Maerk wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:59 pm
Markus - your terrain cards are very elegant and add colour to the setup phase of the game! I will certainly try to imitate your work :oops:
Thanks Maerk... I can send you the .svg files if you want to use the template. I prepare all my game aids with Inkscape, which is a 100% free, open-source Adobe Illustrator alternative. Reasonably easy to use. Can't beat the price :D
Dekelia
Levy

Post by Dekelia » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:53 pm

MarkusB wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:24 pm
Maerk wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:59 pm
Thanks Maerk... I can send you the .svg files if you want to use the template. I prepare all my game aids with Inkscape, which is a 100% free, open-source Adobe Illustrator alternative. Reasonably easy to use. Can't beat the price :D
I'd like to get a hold of those .svg files as well. I'm planning a campaign and it would be cool to have a card for each territory. I also use inkscape - a bit difficult to learn at first but super powerful once you understand it - I'm about half way there :)

Kevin
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Dekelia wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:53 pm
I also use inkscape - a bit difficult to learn at first but super powerful once you understand it - I'm about half way there :)

Kevin
We need to talk, Kevin -- I've used inkscape to play Triumph games online (with honor-system dice rolling using random.org). My main opponent (Rod) doesn't like inkscape as well as I do, but I'd like to get some more games in. And maybe playtest some Fantasy Triumph.
DK
MarkusB
Squire

Post by MarkusB » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi guys,
I've tried to attach the '.svg' files here, but it's not an allowed file type... But look, '.zip' apparently is. Let me know if it works!
PS - I've just done geography/unit recap cards for (pseudo-)Plataea at the moment, so that's what you'll find in the archive ATM :D
Triumph! Cards.zip
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 249 times
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:30 pm

Thanks Markus, if you are on the FB page you can try sharing them there as well.