Warriors and Pike

Anything else related to the TRIUMPH! rules
Kontos
Companion-at-Arms

Warriors and Pike

Post by Kontos » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Perusing the QRS I noticed these 2 troop types share the same CF and Rear Support vs foot types. So far, so good. Then I see Warriors shatter Pike so that even up fight turns out to be a nightmare for Pike. What was the design philosophy around this? Did the Early Galation invasions handily defeat the phalanx of Successor armies? Did their defeats occur due to the mounted superiority of Successor armies? That period was a one time favorite of mine but I have rusted in knowledge. May have to brush up.
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Re: Warriors and Pike

Post by Rod » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:43 pm

I cannot speak to the specific design factors, but note the Warriors and Warband are 4 point units and Pike are 3 Point units.

This factors into the overall performance of the army, i.e. the Warrior and Warband often find their flanks in danger when going in doubled up.... More so than the Pike which have a few more points left for some support troops.

That said they do make an impressive steam roller against formed troops :)
Kontos
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Kontos » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:09 pm

I keep forgetting about points but quick killing (shattering) 2 stands on an even up fight is scary.
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:18 pm

2 Stands?
They are scary, and should be... Only the front stand would be killed the rear supporting stands are not.
David Schlanger
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Schlanger » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:19 pm

Rod wrote:I cannot speak to the specific design factors, but note the Warriors and Warband are 4 point units and Pike are 3 Point units.
...and as soon as the new version is released (which is going to happen VERY soon) Warband will be 3 points per stand.

DS
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:57 pm

Probably good, they are slightly overpriced now...
Kontos
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Kontos » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:22 am

Rod wrote:2 Stands?
They are scary, and should be... Only the front stand would be killed the rear supporting stands are not.
True. But once one goes, the other is sure to follow. :)

Maybe I won't sell my Galatians. They could be fun.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:35 pm

We're working on this issue, Frank.

Don't sell any armies yet. (Well, except for the ones you had already decided to sell, I suppose)
DK
Kontos
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Kontos » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 pm

The more I screw around with it the more interesting it gets. Warriors must pursue at all times. Pike with rear support must pursue. Warriors then provide OL in the next combat if they've won and they have shattered an enemy. Pike provides OL on the next combat assisting their scared friends but it better pay off or they are in a world of hurt next bound. Imagine Supported Pike being double OL with the threat of being shattered at 3v5 or 3v3 (Warrior without support)? If this is intended it is interesting but I will keep my Pike back and send in the mounted troops...if I have any! This is "in period" analysis. Visigoths with Knights and Warriors, and similar armies, would be heavily advantaged. This has always been a game of matchups so it is not unusual. I am just wondering if the point reduction to 3 for Pike balances the loss of +1 rear support and reduction of CF to 3 vs mounted. I think the mounted CF is less of an issue but I will play solo some more. If you want me to stop this, GET ME LOCAL OPPONENTS TO PLAY!!! :geek:
Kontos
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Kontos » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:12 pm

And DK, with over 30 armies up for sale I am sure there will be a few coming back with me. I will work with those for the game. Plus, maybe I have a new one on order just for that fresh start with Triumph! :D