Pass Through Question

A place for questions by and for the new gamer to TRIUMPH!
greedo
Squire

Pass Through Question

Post by greedo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:09 am

Couldn't find this in the forum search, but figured it's been answered before, so sorry about that..

Tonight my 5 y/o daughter and I battled (mostly me doing the tactical stuff but she kept rolling bloody 6s when it came to PIPs and fighting!)

Her skirmishers were out front, and were forced to evade from heavy infantry.
The skirmishers backed up 1 base depth, and then attempted to move 4 MU backwards, but encountered heavy foot before they could finish the 4MU.
Normally the skirmishers would pass through, BUT they didn't have enough movement out of the 4MU to complete the pass through.
There was ample space behind the heavy foot, so not a concern there.

The rules state that a unit that can't do a pass through stops..

So would the skirmishers move a bit MORE than 4MU and pass through the heavy foot, or would they stop in front?

One more, totally unrelated question: Do people use acronyms for troops in Triumph? I know Impetus uses HF, LF for Heavy Foot, & Light Foot, as does To The Strongest. DBA is famous for it's 3Ax, 4Bd, 2Ps etc. I put what I thought were decent acronyms in the summary sheet, but don't know if they are generally accepted, and can change them if we have better ones.
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Re: Pass Through Question

Post by Rod » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:33 pm

In the case you are describing there, I would say the skirmishers would stop in front of the heavy foot.

The key thing with evade is that once you have completed a legal fallback, the "evade" part of the move would not destroy the stand. The only exception is if it evaded off the table.

The only abridged or shorten name I regularly use is Jav Cav, I have no good explanation why? This seems to be the only normally used shortened version.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:12 pm

greedo wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:09 am
So would the skirmishers move a bit MORE than 4MU and pass through the heavy foot, or would they stop in front?
4mu is their outcome move; they cannot exceed it. They stop.

Allowing a "bit" of move extension for a pass-through becomes a nightmare in extreme cases -- what you're asking about is whether the rules permit an evade move of 2.3mu and then a pass through of 0.75mu (depth of a heavy foot) and another 1.00mu to clear the stand (get the rear of the skirm beyond the heavy foot base) for a total of 4.05mu. But any rule that permitted that, would also permit a pass-through extension on a chariot that was a little farther away -- an evade move of 3.9mu, a pass through of 2mu (depth of a chariot) and another 1.00mu to clear the stand, for a total of 6.9mu --- WAAAAAY more than the evasion move limit of 4mu.

That last is included to show you why -- but the short answer is that 4mu is their outcome move distance, and Triumph doesn't give any free movement extensions. So they stop.
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:44 pm

greedo wrote:
One more, totally unrelated question: Do people use acronyms for troops in Triumph?
Me? I use JavCav, Skirm. In Fantasy Triumph I often say "Behemoth" for Elephant, but that's because Behemoth is a better descriptive term for Godzilla, a Fire Giant, an enormous rampaging Demon, a Skeleton Rhinoceros, or an Ankylosaur with Lizardman crew. Even though the troop type is the same as historical Triumph Elephant.

I can't recall any other abbreviations that I use. I don't use acronyms at all for Triumph -- acronyms are often a jargon designed to differentiate between insiders (who know it) and outsiders (who don't). That's exclusive, not inclusive, so I've never seen the utility. YMMV (there's an acronym for you :)
DK
greedo
Squire

Post by greedo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:43 pm

David Kuijt wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:44 pm
greedo wrote:
One more, totally unrelated question: Do people use acronyms for troops in Triumph?
Me? I use JavCav, Skirm. In Fantasy Triumph I often say "Behemoth" for Elephant, but that's because Behemoth is a better descriptive term for Godzilla, a Fire Giant, an enormous rampaging Demon, a Skeleton Rhinoceros, or an Ankylosaur with Lizardman crew. Even though the troop type is the same as historical Triumph Elephant.

I can't recall any other abbreviations that I use. I don't use acronyms at all for Triumph -- acronyms are often a jargon designed to differentiate between insiders (who know it) and outsiders (who don't). That's exclusive, not inclusive, so I've never seen the utility. YMMV (there's an acronym for you :)
Fair enough. It's just a bit cumbersome when typing a question to say "Javelin Cavalry" every time. JavCav will work just fine. Thanks!
greedo
Squire

Post by greedo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:44 pm

David Kuijt wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:12 pm
greedo wrote:
4mu is their outcome move; they cannot exceed it. They stop.

Allowing a "bit" of move extension for a pass-through becomes a nightmare in extreme cases -- what you're asking about is whether the rules permit an evade move of 2.3mu and then a pass through of 0.75mu (depth of a heavy foot) and another 1.00mu to clear the stand (get the rear of the skirm beyond the heavy foot base) for a total of 4.05mu. But any rule that permitted that, would also permit a pass-through extension on a chariot that was a little farther away -- an evade move of 3.9mu, a pass through of 2mu (depth of a chariot) and another 1.00mu to clear the stand, for a total of 6.9mu --- WAAAAAY more than the evasion move limit of 4mu.

That last is included to show you why -- but the short answer is that 4mu is their outcome move distance, and Triumph doesn't give any free movement extensions. So they stop.
Ok perfect! Thanks. I *thought* it would be stopping, but of course evading is just trotting back a bit, not panicking (which DOES get destroyed when it encounters anything).