15vs20mm depth for formed foot

A place for questions by and for the new gamer to TRIUMPH!
greedo
Squire

15vs20mm depth for formed foot

Post by greedo » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:11 pm

So I know that 15mm depth is the standard depth for heavy foot (pikes heavy infantry etc), but I’ve also seen 20mm depth to accommodate bigger figs (Xyston etc).

I know it doesn’t make THAT much difference, but what is the opinion of Triumph? I have about half my heavy infantry based each way.. :)
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Re: 15vs20mm depth for formed foot

Post by Rod » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:08 am

Well, it is technically a disadvantage when falling back and creates some issues for pursuit.

Over all if you have them mounted that way go ahead and use them, as long as your opponent know what the troops are it should not be a game stopping issue.
greedo
Squire

Post by greedo » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:49 am

Makes sense. Thanks!
I usually play that bases recoils 1/2 a base width or their full depth whichever is bigger, and then it doesn’t matter.
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:58 pm

I found a place where it might matter in our game last week. Warriors on a 15mm base (well really 30mm as they were 28mm figures) facing light foot on a 20mm base. Warriors were 2 ranks so they had the depth bonus. They won most of the combats, advancing 15mm in pursuit. I had the light foot and was trying to delay getting my light foot on my left crushed by the warriors facing them while I won the battle on my right. The light foot fell back 20mm and the warriors advancing 15mm in pursuit were now out of combat until the warriors got the command points to advance. Since their line was pretty broken up when they rolled a succession on 1’s for their command die, it gave me time to win elsewhere.

So built into the game the depths matter, but I think you could adjust for it when it matters. That is one more thing to remember.
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:11 pm

Bill that is exactly the point on Pursuit. The warriors failing to catch the light foot puts them at a disadvantage in this situation, if you make them 20mm bases it changes the situation and they do catch them, putting the light foot at a disadvantage potentially.

The problem with everything falling back a a half a base depth for the close order foot is that you are actually making them more brittle than they would normally be. It changes the balance of the game slightly.

These are minor issues and if playing amongst your friends nobody cares, but they do slightly change the nature of the game. The only time I see it causing any real problem is if you show up at a tournament with a differently based army. It would cause some confusion and there would be times when it would be advantageous and times when it would not be. Best to talk ahead of time to the players or the tournament organizer.
greedo
Squire

Post by greedo » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:45 pm

Ah ok, I’ll be sure to base my newer figs 15mm depth.
Orrrr do I base them double width and double depth with lots of figs. It’s very tempting... thanks for the input!