What happens here?

A place for questions by and for the new gamer to TRIUMPH!
Roundie
Squire

What happens here?

Post by Roundie » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:14 am

Hi
I introduced a few friends to Triumph this week and although all of the games (4 in total) went well. In the last game we played today an interesting combat result happened and I wasn't sure what to do after fighting the combat.
In picture 1 the Jav Cav has charged into a column group (warriors in the front, skirmishers behind). The warriors didn't conform as it was a legal contact. After roll the dice the warriors were doubled and destroyed (picture 2).
My question is what happens to the skirmishers(A)? Do they turn to face and fall back? fall back into the heavy foot and die? or stay put because they are not in legal contact with the cavalry and did not support the combat?
Charge.jpg
Charge.jpg (77.65 KiB) Viewed 6298 times
If they stay where they are what happens next? They aren't in legal contact so can they just sit there not fighting? what are the options for the Jav Cav? Oh whoops my photos are a little out here in our game the heavy foot was across the skirmisher corner "A" preventing the Jav cav hitting the back edge of the skirmishers (when charging) or from simply sliding into legal contact on the next turn.

Could the Jav Cav just move into front contact with the skirmishers in its following turn from its current location?

Any help here would be great
cheers
R
Attachments
After combat.jpg
After combat.jpg (84.64 KiB) Viewed 6298 times
Roundie
Squire

Re: What happens here?

Post by Roundie » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:24 am

Right sorry I think I've got the photo right now
what really happened.jpg
what really happened.jpg (170.78 KiB) Viewed 6297 times
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:49 pm

With the flank blocked the Jav Cav can move into the front edge or the Skirmisher could choose to withdraw from ZOC when it was their move.

There is no "illegal contact" in Triumph, you can touch another unit but not be in combat contact and it just means they are in really close ZOC.
Roundie
Squire

Post by Roundie » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:34 pm

Cool
Thanks Rod
greedo
Squire

Post by greedo » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:26 pm

I know that this is an old thread but had A question:
The warriors would die even if they were just beaten wouldn’t they?
Since the would try to turn to face the jav cav before recoiling but would be blocked by the skirmishers?
Or would the skirmishers backup to let the warriors rotate so that they could recoil?
Or would the skirmishers rotate with the warriors in column?
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:11 am

The warriors would die, if they cannot turn they are destroyed.

This is frequently the penalty when the head of a column is hit in the flank.
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:18 pm

A follow up question on columns. If the Jav Cav had fully convered the flanks of both stands of the column, killed the first stand, leaving the Jav Cav in contact with the flank of the skirmishers stand, would the skirmisher stand now be in combat with the Jav Cav? And if the skirmisher stand failed to move on its turn, then the Jav Cav would fight the skirmisher with flank advantage?
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:03 pm

Yes Bill, the Cav would be able to fight the skirmisher on the next combat phase if it had covered both flanks.