BuA rules

A place for questions by and for the new gamer to TRIUMPH!
Sirlobo
Levy

BuA rules

Post by Sirlobo » Tue May 07, 2019 11:36 pm

They are nowhere to be found on the rules, so.. how do we should use them?

thanks!
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: BuA rules

Post by David Kuijt » Wed May 08, 2019 1:15 am

Sirlobo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:36 pm
They are nowhere to be found on the rules, so.. how do we should use them?
There's a couple of ways to take your question; I'm not sure which one you are asking?

Rules for BUA (assaults on castles/cities) don't exist because the DBA concept of field battles that included simultaneous siege assaults has no basis in history, and because using field battle rules as a simulation for siege assaults on fortified castles is quite similar to representing space combat with WW1 aircraft rules (or vice versa).

So if you are asking "how should we use BUA rules" the answer is you should not, those rules are stupid.

If you are asking "how should we use our BUA models", it depends on how big they are, what period they are, what they represent, etc. In the "Fields of Perire" scenario that we're running at Historicon there is a large fortified town on one edge of the map, representing Perire (a town in the delta near the battlefield). Works great for that.
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Wed May 08, 2019 3:00 am

Another point -- my response assumed you were talking about BUA in the legacy game sense (representing a fortified dwelling to be assaulted). If you were talking more generally, the initials stand for "Built Up Area" which technically includes villages and towns -- which are represented in the Triumph rules. See section 14.2 in the draft physical rules -- I don't have the PDF rules in front of me, the numbering might be very slightly different.
DK
Sirlobo
Levy

Post by Sirlobo » Wed May 08, 2019 1:08 pm

Sorry, that my message was so abrupt. English id not my first language and I was writing from the subway (like now xD).

I was refering to the BuA as a terrain. So It's just difficult terrain?

Thanks! I will be flooding the forum with doubts of our spanish group 😉
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Wed May 08, 2019 1:58 pm

No problem, welcome and please do flood with Questions.

A village on the battlefield is treated like a woods. It blocks line of site and is difficult terrain.

The closest thing to a "BUA" on the battlefield in Triumph is what we call a village.

These would best be small clumps of buildings and settlements, not meant to represent large walled or fortified cities as David cites above. Those would be something that might be represented in a Scenario, but not typically on the battlefield since they involve sieges.

I use large walled cities as back drops in some games, for the purpose of the battle they are typically just eye candy and represent impassable terrain.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Wed May 08, 2019 2:17 pm

Sirlobo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:08 pm
Sorry, that my message was so abrupt. English id not my first language and I was writing from the subway (like now xD).

I was refering to the BuA as a terrain. So It's just difficult terrain?

Thanks! I will be flooding the forum with doubts of our spanish group 😉
As Rod says, villages are just like woods -- difficult terrain that block line of sight for shooting.

Welcome to the forum! We look forward to being flooded with your doubts!
DK