Group Move Skirmishers

A place for questions by and for the new gamer to TRIUMPH!
greedo
Squire

Group Move Skirmishers

Post by greedo » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:13 pm

Just a quick question about Rule 32.1:

I understand that Skirmishers and Rabble can group move through difficult terrain for 1 PIP. 32.1c
I understand that Loose Order can pass through Loose Order.

A group of Skirmishers can pass through and be passed through both loose and close order for 1 PIP, since you treat group passthroughs as if traversing difficult terrain (42.3).

Questions:
1. I *think* that a group of skirmishers passing through a group of close order would use 1PIP, treating them as difficult terrain.
2. BUT, if a close order group wishes to pass through a Skirmisher or group of Skirmishers, do they treat the skirmishers are difficult terrain? (i.e. have to make single PIP moves for each element)? i.e. It is allowed to pass through the skirmishers, BUT must pay a command penalty to do so? (42.3). I *think* that is right... But wanted to check. Basically passing through is always counted as moving in difficult terrain. Skirmishers have an exception for that for all troop types. Rabble has an exception for that but only for loose order..
AlexiusBasileus
Grand Master WGC

Re: Group Move Skirmishers

Post by AlexiusBasileus » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:38 am

Just a quick question about Rule 32.1:
I understand that Skirmishers and Rabble can group move through difficult terrain for 1 PIP. 32.1c
I understand that Loose Order can pass through Loose Order.
So far so good...
A group of Skirmishers can pass through and be passed through both loose and close order for 1 PIP, since you treat group passthroughs as if traversing difficult terrain (42.3).
Close but not quite - see below
Questions:
1. I *think* that a group of skirmishers passing through a group of close order would use 1PIP, treating them as difficult terrain.
Yes that is correct.
2. BUT, if a close order group wishes to pass through a Skirmisher or group of Skirmishers, do they treat the skirmishers are difficult terrain?
Yes they do
(i.e. have to make single PIP moves for each element)? i.e. It is allowed to pass through the skirmishers, BUT must pay a command penalty to do so? (42.3). I *think* that is right... But wanted to check.
Here's where you've gotten a little tangled. Of course, you could spend a command point for each element and move them through the skirmishers. So a three element group, starting as a group and ending NOT as a group would HAVE to be moved that way. But a three element group starting as a group and ending as a group can make a group move for additional command points. There is a big difference between contacting other stands as a group and contacting them as single elements, so it is usually much better to move as a group if you start as a group and plan to end as group. That is different from using a single command point for each one - even though you might wind up spending the same three command points in my example. You DO wind up paying a command penalty for the privilege of moving through the skirmishers
Basically passing through is always counted as moving in difficult terrain.
Yes.
Skirmishers have an exception for that for all troop types.
Skirmishers still treat the stands passed through as difficult going, but group moves in difficult going don't cost them extra.
Rabble has an exception for that but only for loose order..
Rabble still treat the stands passed through as difficult going, but group moves in difficult going don't cost them extra. And they are limited to passing through open order.
greedo
Squire

Post by greedo » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:53 am

Thanks! That does clear things up, although I still don’t see why moving 3 single elements for 3 pips and moving a group of 3 for 3 pips is different.. what’s the case I’m missing? Combat occurs after moving… and elements won’t turn to face flank attacks until they’ve lost combat. What’s the other scenario?

Thanks again for the clearing up!
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:44 am

greedo wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:53 am
Thanks! That does clear things up, although I still don’t see why moving 3 single elements for 3 pips and moving a group of 3 for 3 pips is different.. what’s the case I’m missing? Combat occurs after moving… and elements won’t turn to face flank attacks until they’ve lost combat. What’s the other scenario?

Thanks again for the clearing up!
If you move them as a group (regardless of pips spent) if they contact a single stand they can force that stand to conform, that is the difference.
greedo
Squire

Post by greedo » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:01 pm

Ahh, ok that makes sense. Thanks all!