side edge of the board

A place to ask specific rules questions about TRIUMPH!
Roundie
Squire

side edge of the board

Post by Roundie » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:18 am

Hi, I was pushing some figures around today and came across a interesting problem.

2 groups of opposing elements face off against each other but, are offset by 3/4 of a base. Their lines were very close to a table flank but, ran parallel to the deployment table edge.
I group A
I XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX
I XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX
I group B

Group B wants to charge group A. If it does so it must conform to group A by moving no more than 1/2 a base width (which would be to the left). This would push the leftmost element off the table. So....?

1) Can this charge only be carried out as single element moves (4 pips). With each element sliding to the right 3/4 of a base width in turn.
2) Can the charge happen as normal but, you simply conform 3/4 of an element to the right with the group (1 pip)
3) The leftmost element moves back (1 pip) and the remainder of the group moves into contact and conforms to the left (+1 pip)
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Re: side edge of the board

Post by Rod » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:01 pm

One of the reasons we use a rectangular playing field is to avoid the edge of the world situation.

However, it can still happen.

From your description it sound like the line would conform (1/2 slide) and the stand that would have been pushed off the edge would drop back behind the left end and form up behind the unit which had been immediately to it's right. This a group move where the line is forced to contract.

The other option would be to use multiple pips to move the elements individually to the right.
Roundie
Squire

Re: side edge of the board

Post by Roundie » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:10 am

oh yeah forgot about the old contracting frontage rule
nice one, cheers