fighting to the flank

A place to ask specific rules questions about TRIUMPH!
waynel001
Levy

fighting to the flank

Post by waynel001 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:26 am

If a unit is attacked in the flank (only), and the result is a tie, does the flanked unit have the ability to turn and face? (for free? or with a command pip?) (in 66.4 if it's defeated and falls back, it DOES have that ability which seems a strange bonus of losing, if you can't turn and face when you get a tie result) (this is all assuming there is otherwise no break contact possibility).

In a related question: rule 80.2a says that a unit with an enemy stand in flank contact that is forced to fall back is destroyed, but that seems NOT to be true if it is ONLY contacted in the flank (and thus all the discussion about turning to face and falling back in 66.4). Is this just bad grammar in 80.2a? should it read "if it begins the fall back move with ANOTHER enemy stand in flank or rear contact with it"?
Roundie
Squire

Re: fighting to the flank

Post by Roundie » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:53 am

Hi ya

Question 1: In its movement phase, it may spend a pip and turn to face (front contact) its attacker. See page 23 (47)

Question 2: " fall back" is an outcome move. A unit that is attacked in the flank and loses, turns to face its attacker before making an "outcome move" (ie fall back move) see 66.5.
A unit that is attacked in the front and flank at the same time and loses is already facing an attacker so just makes an outcome move (fall back) but because it is flanked it can't and is therefore dead. As per 80.2a

Hope that helps
R
waynel001
Levy

Post by waynel001 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:50 am

thanks, that does help. But as I was puzzling through this another question came up on flank attacks.

A unit is attacked in front and flank by two other units. The rules say the front attack has "priority"; does that mean that that there is only one die roll for all three units? I assumed that part of the advantage of a combined front and flank attack would be the -1 AND ALSO a 2nd attack by the flanking unit? (the way the rules are written, I assumed that the priority thing only arose when the FLANKED unit had a chance to attack back in his own turn, after ties in both combats, it could only attack to the front)
Roundie
Squire

Post by Roundie » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:19 am

Just 1 dice roll for the attacker and one for the defender.

The attacker must use the factors of the unit attacking the defenders front.

The advantage of attacking the front and flank at the same time (along with the -1 factor) is if beaten the defender cannot fall back and is removed from play.

You don't have to double them just win the combat.

I would suggest watching Rod's youtube video on flanking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQdekMfST4U
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:43 pm

Saving me a lot of typing :)

Roundie is correct, one fight per stand per turn and the person whose turn it is decides the order. Front always takes priority.
waynel001
Levy

Post by waynel001 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:53 pm

Thanks all.