Grand triumph demoralized stand questions

A place to ask specific rules questions about TRIUMPH!
Roundie
Squire

Grand triumph demoralized stand questions

Post by Roundie » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:02 pm

Hi, I have a couple of questions based on demoralized stands in Grand Triumph.

1) If you use a command pip to move a stand up into side contact with another friendly stand, thus forming a group.
Are both units exempt from making a rout move because they are now a group, or do you need to spend another pip to hold the stand that didn't move?
2) If a group of 2 or stands (of the same movement class) are forced to make a rout move (because the command is demoralized). Do they finish
their rout move still in a group? In the next turn could they be given a single pip to hold because although routing they would still be in a group
formation?

Cheers
R
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Re: Grand triumph demoralized stand questions

Post by Rod » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:01 pm

1) they have to start as a group, so it would take two pips in this case.

2) once a group routs they are no longer in a group so we usually leave them next tow each other but slightly mismatched to show they are not a group.
Roundie
Squire

Post by Roundie » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:47 pm

Cool cheers Rod

I think in our games yesterday our demoralized commands hung in there a lot longer than they should have :roll:
HoaryCenturion
Squire

Post by HoaryCenturion » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:22 pm

Hi,

Perhaps I should have created a new topic, but my question(s) seem to align with this query, so . . .

1) How long/how many turns do units in demoralized commands rout?

2) There appears to be no morale effect if a routing unit runs into a friendly unit. The routing unit is just destroyed.

Others to follow on this topic and others, I am sure.

Thanks.

p.s. The Society of Ancients is hosting Battle Day on the 20th. They have selected Adrianople (378 AD). Has anyone tried this using TRIUMPH!?

Cheers,
Chris
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:41 am

Hey Chris, good to hear from you!
HoaryCenturion wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:22 pm
1) How long/how many turns do units in demoralized commands rout?
I'm not sure what you're asking. There is no memory, there is no time limit. Rout is a one-turn condition, if they are not given orders. Of course, if they are out of command range they disappear, which (in essence) means they rout forever, but I am fairly sure that wasn't what you were asking.

A stand that routs on one turn might be given orders and not rout on the next. No stand remembers what it was doing on the previous turn.
HoaryCenturion wrote:
2) There appears to be no morale effect if a routing unit runs into a friendly unit. The routing unit is just destroyed.
Having a unit destroyed is a morale effect -- the end of the game happens when sufficient units are destroyed, after all.
HoaryCenturion wrote:
p.s. The Society of Ancients is hosting Battle Day on the 20th. They have selected Adrianople (378 AD). Has anyone tried this using TRIUMPH!?
It's one of the scenarios that Dave and I ran in the past, and are working upon updating for Triumph. Look for the scenario book some time in the future.
DK
HoaryCenturion
Squire

Post by HoaryCenturion » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:50 pm

DK -

Thanks for your enthusiastic greeting. My sincere apology for not being more active on the Forum. Things have been a bit hectic of late . . .

Another apology for not being very specific with the formatting of my question(s).

Here is a revised attempt.

1. In a current scenario (based on Quatre Bras believe it or not), a command of Carthaginians (mostly Gauls) got handled by the Romans in one sector of the field/table. This barbarian command became demoralized as a result. On the next turn, the commander rolled a 3. Given the current state of things, he decided to order 3 groups to hold, spending those 3 command points. There was a unit of demoralized Gauls that did not receive an order. So, following the Grand Triumph rules, it fell back, turned and then completed a normal move. By this action, it did not move outside of the command radius . . . Ooops. Just checked and it is outside of the reduced command radius for demo’d commands. My bad! (Loud palm slap to the forehead in conjunction with Doh!)

2. Can you direct me to the page or paragraph where it states that rout is a one-turn condition?

3. No stand remembers what it was doing the previous turn?! Well if a stand is demoralized, it stays such. It strikes me as a bit odd, perhaps even ahistorical, for routing stands to suddenly pull up short and scratch their heads, asking, “hey, what are we running for?”

4. Point taken regarding the cumulative effect of losing the required number of stands or units. I guess I am used to having routing units have a negative impact of nearby friends.

I will look for the scenario book. Have either of you considered submitting something to Slingshot? There is a new editor, and the journal is very accepting of submissions. Perhaps you could use it to help promote TRIUMPH!?

Thanks again for reading and responding.

Cheers,
Chris
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:05 pm

Hi Chris,
HoaryCenturion wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:50 pm

2. Can you direct me to the page or paragraph where it states that rout is a one-turn condition?
It is implied in the description of rout, any stand which is part of a command that has been demoralized which is not given a command routs. So each turn you can decide to give it a command or it routs.

HoaryCenturion wrote:
3. No stand remembers what it was doing the previous turn?! Well if a stand is demoralized, it stays such. It strikes me as a bit odd, perhaps even ahistorical, for routing stands to suddenly pull up short and scratch their heads, asking, “hey, what are we running for?”
If you give them a command, then you are essentially interfering with their rout by having a subcommander or messenger stop them and tell them to turn around. So they don't decide on their own you spend precious command points to stop the rout, or as mentioned above they keep running.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:52 am

HoaryCenturion wrote:
I will look for the scenario book. Have either of you considered submitting something to Slingshot? There is a new editor, and the journal is very accepting of submissions. Perhaps you could use it to help promote TRIUMPH!?
Hey Chris,

We might well submit something to Slingshot eventually, but we have much higher priorities right now -- Battle Cards, Fantasy Triumph, Campaign Book, Scenario Books, just to name four things on the burner. Plus supporting at conventions, of course. If I was multiplex of hand and eye, perhaps.
DK
HoaryCenturion
Squire

Post by HoaryCenturion » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:48 am

Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for the clarification(s).

Appreciate the "too much on a plate" status re Slingshot and Battle Day. Just thought that including TRIUMPH! among the handful of rules would give you and TRIUMPH! another level of exposure, etc.

Cheers,
Chris
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:16 pm

HoaryCenturion wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:48 am
Appreciate the "too much on a plate" status re Slingshot and Battle Day. Just thought that including TRIUMPH! among the handful of rules would give you and TRIUMPH! another level of exposure, etc.
It would, Chris, no question. But with finite energy/time/resources, we have to pick our battles. And putting out more high-quality content is the priority over publicizing what we have already. That doesn't mean such exposure wouldn't be great -- but it isn't something that we ourselves (WGC primary actors) have much time for right now.
DK