Maximum Size the Rules can Handle

A place to ask specific rules questions about TRIUMPH!
HoaryCenturion
Squire

Maximum Size the Rules can Handle

Post by HoaryCenturion » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:04 am

Gents,

Got tired of shoveling snow and so, started thinking about setting up a solo campaign.

Before jumping in the deep end, I thought I would inquire about the capability of TRIUMPH! or GRAND TRIUMPH! to handle larger games.

I see that GT (GRAND TRIUMPH!) is geared for three 48-point armies per side.

Has anyone played bigger games, with four or more 48-point armies per side?

The reason I am looking at this size variation is to develop some options when rolling dice and consulting tables to see how small or large of an enemy army I will face on the planned battlefield.

Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments and experiences.

Cheers,
Chris
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Re: Maximum Size the Rules can Handle

Post by Rod » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:47 am

Yup, works great for larger battles.

Done Qadesh with 4 commands per side, really is not upper limit.
HoaryCenturion
Squire

Post by HoaryCenturion » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:27 am

Thanks very much, Rod.

Now I just have to work out the particulars . . . You know, if I want logistics to play a part; how to handle pre-battle topics and concerns; what to do about mismatched encounters, etc.

Thanks again.

Chris
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:14 pm

It depends on the battle of course, but I apply special rules to my large games to create special impacts and events as needed.

For example in Qadesh the Hittites are coming across the river at fordable locations the majority of the Egyptian forces are in column, Ramses is in camp with his forces not in any sort of organization. the fourth Egyptian command has a delayed entrance. The WGC team has also put this on as a 48point battle just scale down formations to stands.

The Hittites had significantly more troops present at the original battlefield, but the majority were the equivalent of massed horde infantry which played no part in the fighting, so they are not even placed on the table because they were off table near what would have been the Hittite camp.

The "basic" GT rules are designed with a decent sized battle that should take about 3-4 hours at 144points per side with 4-6 players.

Making the force sizes larger just means it might take a little longer, depending on how many players you have to push the troops.
HoaryCenturion
Squire

Post by HoaryCenturion » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:14 am

OK . . . Thanks for the additional info and ideas.

I have watched your large Crusader battle and Hastings refight a few times to pick up pointers.

While chariot warfare is interesting, I don't think I will be staging anything like that soon.

Point noted about size of armies and length of battle.

I am currently developing "rules" for a solo campaign and hope to post something to my blog in a few months.

I am interested to see how it progresses . . . Time will tell.

Thanks again.

Chris