Fall Back and Proctected camps

A place to ask specific rules questions about TRIUMPH!
CoachB
Levy

Fall Back and Proctected camps

Post by CoachB » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:12 am

Battle Card Protected Camp says +2 in addition to normal camp factors does that mean it's +2 and +2?
Or
Is it a +2 plus cost of defending unit instead of the +1 plus cost of defending unit?

Setup my Skirmishers was confused and moved behind 2 of my Pike units in line at an angle. Both Pike units had to Fall Back from their combats. Since the Skirmishers was at an angle neither Pike could make a full Fall Back move and were destroyed.
Or
Could the Pikes have passed thru the Skirmishers?

Last one an column with 4 open order units, lead unit is forced to Fall Back, it can pass thru the 1st unit behind it but the space behind it was occupied by the 3rd unit into the column so the lead unit is destroyed, correct?

Thanks for the help!
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Fall Back and Proctected camps

Post by David Kuijt » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:29 pm

CoachB wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:12 am
Battle Card Protected Camp says +2 in addition to normal camp factors does that mean it's +2 and +2?
Or
Is it a +2 plus cost of defending unit instead of the +1 plus cost of defending unit?
I'm not sure I understand your question.

Per rule 72.1 and 72.2 (page 37 of the rulebook), Camps have a +2 combat factor without garrison, and a (Garrison Point Cost) +1 combat factor if they are garrisoned.

Add two to that and you have the combat factors of a Fortified Camp.
CoachB wrote:
Setup my Skirmishers was confused and moved behind 2 of my Pike units in line at an angle. Both Pike units had to Fall Back from their combats. Since the Skirmishers was at an angle neither Pike could make a full Fall Back move and were destroyed.
Or
Could the Pikes have passed thru the Skirmishers?
Dead. Per 81.1, a stand can only pass through if ALL the conditions were met (81.1.a, 81.1.b, c, and d.). 81.1.a was not met (they were not facing the same way) so the pike are dead, dead, dead. Also dead.
CoachB wrote:
Last one an column with 4 open order units, lead unit is forced to Fall Back, it can pass thru the 1st unit behind it but the space behind it was occupied by the 3rd unit into the column so the lead unit is destroyed, correct?
Nope. 82.3.d says "no more than 3 stands are being pushed back." If the front one of a column of 4 is forced to Fall Back, then you have one Fall Back and three Pushed Back, which is allowed. The front guy is a Fall Back stand (subject to a combat result) not a Pushed Back stand (which are not involved in combat).
DK
CoachB
Levy

Post by CoachB » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:29 pm

My bad I meant Fortified Camp.
So if I put a skirmish unit in a Fortified Camp, what would its combat factor be?

If a open order unit must Fall Back, it pushes other Open order units instead of passing thru them?
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:38 am

CoachB wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:29 pm
So if I put a skirmish unit in a Fortified Camp, what would its combat factor be?
Hm. I thought I was clear. I said:
DK wrote:Per rule 72.1 and 72.2 (page 37 of the rulebook), Camps have a +2 combat factor without garrison, and a (Garrison Point Cost) +1 combat factor if they are garrisoned.

Add two to that and you have the combat factors of a Fortified Camp.
So here it is step by step, for clarity.
  • If you put a skirmish unit in a Fortified Camp, that is a garrison
  • Per 72.2, as said above, camps normally have a combat factor of (Garrison Point Cost) +1 if garrisoned
  • Skirmishers are 3pt stands.
  • 3+1 is 4. So a NORMAL camp with a Skirmisher unit as the garrison has a +4 combat factor.
  • Fortified Camp is +2 from that.. 4+2 is six.
  • That gives a +6 combat factor for a Fortified Camp with a Skirmisher garrison.
CoachB wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:29 pm
If a open order unit must Fall Back, it pushes other Open order units instead of passing thru them?
No. Why do you think so? I'm not asking to be snide -- we can't make the rules more clear if we don't see where misunderstandings arise.

Read section 82.1.a. It can only push back if it can't pass through them. To rephrase: if it can pass through, it must do so. OTHERWISE, it tries to push them back. If it can't do that, it's dead.
DK