Fallback contacting non-aligned units

A place to ask specific rules questions about TRIUMPH!
jbbpioneer
Levy

Fallback contacting non-aligned units

Post by jbbpioneer » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:27 am

From a recent game in the TTS tournament.

What happens when a fallback contacts enemy or own units? Rule 80 is pretty specific and I have run afoul of it in past games with Rod. Your skirmisher needed to fallback. It could do so through your light foot but then contacted my jav cav in the flank which would eliminate us both. That much is clear. It is a question that if your skirmisher had to fall back a full move (line up behind the light foot) you would have contacted your knight general and eliminated that (since it was facing a different direction). So the question for the rule lawyers is would the elimination of the skirmisher be immediate on contacting the first enemy unit or would the skirmisher eliminate all units contacted in its full fallback move?
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Fallback contacting non-aligned units

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:13 am

I'm having pronoun issues with your question. But if I understand you correctly -- no, the ghost of the dead Skirmisher does not continue moving backwards with poison buttocks, killing other stands before finally dissipating at the end of its death-causing fallback move.
DK
jbbpioneer
Levy

Post by jbbpioneer » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:06 am

OK. The answer is the falling back unit will only kill the first unit it contacts. Both units are eliminated and none others. Thanks.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:00 am

jbbpioneer wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:06 am
OK. The answer is the falling back unit will only kill the first unit it contacts. Both units are eliminated and none others. Thanks.
It is theoretically possible that it could collide-with (and therefore kill) two enemy stands at the exact same moment. But if that bizarre situation doesn't occur, yes, as soon as it dies it stops --- it doesn't continue onwards creating a ghostly path of death.
DK