Conforming

A place to ask specific rules questions about TRIUMPH!
waynel001
Levy

Conforming

Post by waynel001 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:24 pm

The rules on Conforming are written only to address single stands. But you don't seem to deal with what happens if two groups meet at an angle. Do they each adjust/conform half way? Sorry to ask what must be a newbie question, but I looked everywhere. In the pic, if the cavalry/LF group advances straight ahead, they are aligned, but not conformed. What happens?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (57.31 KiB) Viewed 4660 times
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Re: Conforming

Post by Rod » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:30 pm

When a group is moving into another group, the moving group must conform to the enemy.

So in the picture you show the Cavalry must wheel and align with the group it wishes to hit. This is allowed as long as no stand in the moving group exceeds it's total allowed movement. The final snap to align is the only time a group move can be used to slide the group over.
Attachments
Presentation1.jpg
Presentation1.jpg (121.76 KiB) Viewed 4654 times
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:42 pm

To be clear at no point can the cavalry exceed it's total movement.
waynel001
Levy

Post by waynel001 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:11 am

That helps. thanks (I should point out that at no point is "conform" defined in the printed rules (I have the published copy).

None of this is affected by ZOC rules? What if the wheel must be done (for terrain or other reasons) within the ZOC?
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:45 am

I used conforming because that is how you asked the question. In Triumph it is described in section 49 Aligning with Enemy Stands.

It covers the move your original question was about and the question you just asked about ZOC. Basically a Group trying to close with or align with an enemy group is allowed to do so and not prevented from doing this by enemy ZOC.
waynel001
Levy

Post by waynel001 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:05 pm

There's a whole separate rules section on "comforming" and it's never explained what the difference is between conforming and aligning? I alway assumed "aligning" was solely about later shifts to align corners. Not angular adjustments/wheels to align edges.
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:25 am

If you are referring to section 52, this is conforming of a single stand to a group which can involve the stand being rotated and aligned to match up to another stand in the moving group.

I think the definition you are looking for is here:

52.4 To conform, place the stand in front contact with
the enemy stand that made initial contact with it.

Not sure what your question is about this rule?

Aligning is the lateral shift, it is typically applied to two lines coming together.

Section 52 is about a single stand in front of a group being forced to essentially turn and align to the group. So it involves the possible rotation (or not) and the aligning of the single stand.

Does this answer your question?
waynel001
Levy

Post by waynel001 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:10 pm

Thanks! Your initial answer/diagram cleared it up. I was just kvetching that there was this terminological bifurcation between conforming and aligning. I appreciate it very much!
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:41 pm

Ok, good :)

I hope you are enjoying the game!