80. Pass Through

A place to ask specific rules questions about TRIUMPH!
wybesse
Levy

80. Pass Through

Post by wybesse » Wed May 15, 2019 8:19 pm

One thing we agreed on when playing that, on re-reading the rule, I think we got wrong.

In looking at the illustration to 80.2, I note that A, which is passing through the stand to its rear, is shallower than the stand it's passing through.

From that I surmise that the provision 80.1.b that there must be sufficient space behind the met stand for the faller-back to fit in does not mean that the faller-back must clear the met stand *within its base-depth distance*, just that there must be a space equal to its base-depth distance *behind the met stand* for it to fall back into.

We had momentarily thought that the fall-back had to clear the met stand within its base depth, and it seemed as if there would be few if any occasion when the base depths would make this possible.

I don't think we'd even had any beers at that point... :oops:
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: 80. Pass Through

Post by David Kuijt » Wed May 15, 2019 9:45 pm

wybesse wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:19 pm
One thing we agreed on when playing that, on re-reading the rule, I think we got wrong.

In looking at the illustration to 80.2, I note that A, which is passing through the stand to its rear, is shallower than the stand it's passing through.

From that I surmise that the provision 80.1.b that there must be sufficient space behind the met stand for the faller-back to fit in does not mean that the faller-back must clear the met stand *within its base-depth distance*, just that there must be a space equal to its base-depth distance *behind the met stand* for it to fall back into.

We had momentarily thought that the fall-back had to clear the met stand within its base depth, and it seemed as if there would be few if any occasion when the base depths would make this possible.

I don't think we'd even had any beers at that point... :oops:
I'm fairly sure nobody would ever clear a stand on fall-back with your take on that rule... :)
DK