When to measure the General’s command range

A place to ask specific rules questions about TRIUMPH!
Craig
Levy

When to measure the General’s command range

Post by Craig » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Is the General’s command range measured at the beginning, end or during movement? I assume at the beginning of movement?
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: When to measure the General’s command range

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:31 pm

You measure the general's command range every time you spend a command point. So if you move your general way left on your line, and then after you move him you want to move something on the far right side of your line, the move on the far right might cost an extra command point based upon the new command range.

The guiding principle is: no memory. You aren't required to write down, mark down, or otherwise remember what stands were in command range or out of it -- you only ask, are these guys (who I am trying to move) in command range NOW.
DK
Craig
Levy

Post by Craig » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks David. That makes sense. I like the “no memory” guiding principle. Much less room for error or confusion.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Craig wrote:Thanks David. That makes sense. I like the “no memory” guiding principle. Much less room for error or confusion.
It's one of the guiding principles in almost everything in Triumph. You don't need to remember if your guys charged in this turn (or not), and many other similar things. The aim is no markers, no memory. Not completely achievable (you have to remember what you've moved already this turn, and what combats you've rolled already, and how many command points you've used) but still a laudable aim. Fiddly markers are bad; arguments leading to fistfights based on how you and your opponent remember differently on whether a particular stand should get some bonus based on a past event are also bad.
DK