Charge Through Battlecard Query

A place to ask specific rules questions about TRIUMPH!
skc
Squire

Charge Through Battlecard Query

Post by skc » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:27 am

Re: Charge Through.

(A) "1 point for each battle card; up to a maximum of 2x"
Is the 1 point cost for individual stands (i.e. 1 point/stand) or for all stands of that type?

(B)"The battle card is expended when used and may not be used again."
If for all Stands then if I purchase x2, can one 'Charge Through' all of that type twice, or is the x2 to mean that just two stands can do it only once?

Thanks in advance for Clarification. (have dug my Late Crusader out again.;)

Herewith the Full Rule
This battle card can be played to allow eligible troops to pass through friendly close order foot stands.
The army list indicates which troops may have the Charge Through battle card purchased for them.
A Charge Through battle card is purchased for all stands in an eligible troop entry — not a particular stand. (Knights) The army list also indicates which troops may be moved through.
Cost
Playing a Charge Through battle card allows one or more stands making a tactical move to pass through friendly close order foot stands as if they were open order foot.

1 point for each battle card; up to a maximum of 2x
Playing a Charge Through battle card only applies to one tactical move and its effect ends when that tactical move is over.
The battle card is expended when used and may not be used again.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Charge Through Battlecard Query

Post by David Kuijt » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:25 am

skc wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:27 am
Re: Charge Through.

(A) "1 point for each battle card; up to a maximum of 2x"
Is the 1 point cost for individual stands (i.e. 1 point/stand) or for all stands of that type?

(B)"The battle card is expended when used and may not be used again."
If for all Stands then if I purchase x2, can one 'Charge Through' all of that type twice, or is the x2 to mean that just two stands can do it only once?
Neither. If you purchase x1, then you may do one 'Charge Through' move in the game. If you purchase x2, you may do two such moves. A single CT move might involve more than one stand, as explicated below.
skc wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:27 am
Herewith the Full Rule
This battle card can be played to allow eligible troops to pass through friendly close order foot stands.
The army list indicates which troops may have the Charge Through battle card purchased for them.
A Charge Through battle card is purchased for all stands in an eligible troop entry — not a particular stand. (Knights) The army list also indicates which troops may be moved through.
Cost
Playing a Charge Through battle card allows one or more stands making a tactical move to pass through friendly close order foot stands as if they were open order foot.

1 point for each battle card; up to a maximum of 2x
Playing a Charge Through battle card only applies to one tactical move and its effect ends when that tactical move is over.
The battle card is expended when used and may not be used again.
"Playing a Charge Through battle card [...] applies to one tactical move and its effect ends when that tactical move is over"

... in other words, when you play it, you can use it for that tactical move. If that tactical move is a group move, that's fine. It applies to the whole group. As supported by the other critical part of the rule,

"[...] one or more stands making a tactical move"

... which clearly means a group move is allowed.

And as always, a group move pass through is treated as difficult terrain (in the rules elsewhere), so you must pay one command point per stand participating in the passingthrough. The CT card does not give you additional command points; you must pay them normally.
DK
skc
Squire

Post by skc » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:53 pm

Thank you David.

That clears it up.

Rather risky I think, as there is no 'Recoil Through' (the Close Foot again) for Knights who've been beaten. Will take some careful planning.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:50 pm

skc wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:53 pm
Thank you David.

That clears it up.

Rather risky I think, as there is no 'Recoil Through' (the Close Foot again) for Knights who've been beaten. Will take some careful planning.
Sure, but heavy foot (or Pavises) do not block pushback. So as long as you're not beaten after charging through elephants or warwagon (and no, there are no charge through situations with them) you won't get killed by pushback.

And nothing requires you to be REALLY CLOSE either, when you charge through.
DK
skc
Squire

Post by skc » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:54 am

Useful to know. So much more strategy in these rules than meets the eye.
Bye for now and thanks again for your great feedback.