a couple of column questions

A place to ask specific rules questions about TRIUMPH!
wybesse
Levy

a couple of column questions

Post by wybesse » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:26 am

Last night DK very patiently helped my brain start returning to Triumph!-normal after a long time away*.

He reminded me about one or two specifically Fantasy Triumph rules, as well as that march moves must not pass or end within 8 MU of enemy troops (as well as not start likewise, natch).

But two column things I think I must have misheard, because what I thought I understood isn't borne out by the rulebook.

One, also dealing with march moves, was that columns can't make them. But 41.3 specifically refers to stands making a march move as part of a column, so I must have gotten that muddled. Clearly columns can make march moves.

The other was that columns have to be formed by the lead stand moving directly to the front; they can't be formed by, say, the first unit in a line wheeling to its flank and the others moving in behind it. But F.2 shows just that--a stand on one flank of a line wheeling on its front corner and then the other stands in the line falling in behind it in the column. So stands don't have to move straight forward when forming a column; the lead stand can wheel as it begins.

Corrections? Clarifications?

*I'm especially glad that local Triumph players are meeting up near me on a regular basis, as the friends I most often play miniatures with have decided they don't care for Triumph, much to my dismay, so I've not been able to play it for a while now.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: a couple of column questions

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:19 am

wybesse wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:26 am
But two column things I think I must have misheard, because what I thought I understood isn't borne out by the rulebook.

One, also dealing with march moves, was that columns can't make them. But 41.3 specifically refers to stands making a march move as part of a column, so I must have gotten that muddled. Clearly columns can make march moves.
Columns can definitely make march moves. When you were march-moving your column, what I said was that you cannot make more than one march move -- one bonus move (paid for, with various constraints) is the limit per stand. Your column could only make one march move after the stands made a move each individually to set up the column.
wybesse wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:26 am
The other was that columns have to be formed by the lead stand moving directly to the front; they can't be formed by, say, the first unit in a line wheeling to its flank and the others moving in behind it. But F.2 shows just that--a stand on one flank of a line wheeling on its front corner and then the other stands in the line falling in behind it in the column. So stands don't have to move straight forward when forming a column; the lead stand can wheel as it begins.
As you say, perfectly legal. If I recall correctly, you're thinking of the move with the UCI-MRV hover vehicles (Bad Horse with Hover Flying) where you wanted to column them up and zoom them behind your main line, to reinforce the shaky right flank where your Carnitrons and Security Forces (Rabble) were? I made you pay separate command points for those two bad horse because they had to move sideways and back to make the column you wanted -- so individual moves was the only way to achieve that. If you wheeled the front stand your front line of <don't recall what -- Mecha Chompers? Heavy Foot with nasty mechanical teeth> was going to get in the way of forming the column in that direction.

It was a good game, Jan -- although I'm bitter about my Delayed Entry troops from the Great White North never showing up. What kind of Yeti are they?

Here's an image of the UCI MRV units in question. Who never did anything useful, but hey, at least they were on the map, and didn't count as remote kinda casualties, losing the game! :)
UberCorp UCI MRV.jpg
UberCorp UCI MRV.jpg (644.96 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:26 am

And here's a pic of the Carnitron that won the game for Jan, killing at least two of my Howitzer Apes:
UberCorp Carnitron.jpg
UberCorp Carnitron.jpg (733.7 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
DK
wybesse
Levy

Post by wybesse » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:50 am

Thanks for the clarifications, David!

And, yes, those snow apes let you down badly, both games. But keep taking them--they may yeti serve you well!
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:01 am

wybesse wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:50 am
Thanks for the clarifications, David!

And, yes, those snow apes let you down badly, both games. But keep taking them--they may yeti serve you well!
... and I thought the worst pain was from losing.
DK
wybesse
Levy

Post by wybesse » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:37 am

:oops: Sorry! I was channeling Brantley…