Maurikian Byzantines

A place to share information about figures and other models
Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Maurikian Byzantines

Post by Gregorius » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:03 am

I've been reading about the emperor Heraclius and I'm inspired to collect an army. So, I'm looking for recommendations for 15mm figures.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
jdesmond
Squire

Re: Maurikian Byzantines

Post by jdesmond » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Salutations !

Well, I am accumulating the lead for that army myself (tho actually something of a Late Roman force, morphing and expanding.) with most of the figures coming from Essex, Old Glory or Outpost. Don't think you can go far wrong with any of these three (contrary opinions invited).

Were you in USA, would urge you to Email Mike Sanderson - mdsand@yahoo.com - who is holding private sale, _many_ bags of unpainted Essex figures, very reasonable prices, great fulfillment service. But what postage to Oz would run...

Yours, John
Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Gregorius » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:15 am

Thanks John. I'll have to check out Old Glory and Outpost.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
jdesmond
Squire

Post by jdesmond » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:55 pm

Salutations, again,

Would note that the Byzantine 'army lists' have changed a good deal over past 25 years - the Early & Maurikian Byzantines of WRG 7th had large numbers of 'Regular A & B extra-heavy cavalry (horses with frontal metal armor) with lance, bow and shield' allowed, making them - in terms of money and time - fewest figures needed to buy or paint - the cheapest to field.

Essex' RO-46 and BZA-02 figures, inter alia, are monuments of that era. Sic transit...