28mm Plastics

A place to share painting tips and photos of painted armies and figures
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

28mm Plastics

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:57 pm

Okay, I have hundreds of 15mm armies -- almost all my historicals are 15mm, and all metal.

But my fantasy armies are almost all 28mm, and I've been working on recreating the battle of Pelennor Field, and I'm here to mention a huge advantage of the 28mm plastics that now form a lot of armies out there.

It is soooooo easy to mod figures. I've turned Numenorean Foot into Dol Amroth Foot by some shield swapping and judicious filing. I've turned Rohan foot into South Gondor militia by adding Numenorean shields (modded) and doing some helmet modifications. And most recently (this morning, triggering this post) I've taken Gripping Beast Plastics Arab Heavy Cavalry spare arms with horns and chopped, mutilated, and glued them to Rohan cavalry whose weapons had gotten busted to make them into horn-blowers for Knight command stands. This fixes a terrible lack -- it isn't so difficult to modify Rohan spearcarriers to become banner carriers, but making horn-blowers isn't so easy. Now fixed! GBP include many different army substitutions (way too many -- it takes like 11 different parts to make a single Saracen (Haradrim/Southron) horseman), so I've got several spare arms. Command stands for Rohan, here we come! Now I don't weep when I hear the immortal words:
With that he seized a great horn from Guthlaf his banner-bearer and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder. And straightway all horns in the host were lifted up in music, and the blowing of the horns of Rohan in that hour was like a storm upon the plain and a thunder in the mountains.
DK
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Re: 28mm Plastics

Post by Rod » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:37 pm

I really like the WWII 28mm plastic Warlord figures I have done for the same reasons.