Test Game and kind of a review

Description of battles, photos, videos, victory!
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Test Game and kind of a review

Post by David Kuijt » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Kontos wrote: There goes DK jogging with his shorts on inside out. Get outta my head, vision! :o
I've heard that's an effective way of dealing with the fey. At least I wasn't jogging in my Speedo.
DK
Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Gregorius » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:27 am

I've just requested to join the group.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
Maerk
Levy

Post by Maerk » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:13 am

David Schlanger wrote: (...)
One thing I will mention is that there is a limit to the number of march moves that a stand or group of stands can do each turn (one march move per turn). Based on your account of the battle, it sounds like you did more than one. No big deal though.
(...)
Thanks for the hint, David. Being full of enthusiasm about the possibilities of march moves, it seems that we missed "a second tactical move" in the rules paragraph :-) It certainly makes sense to limit the number of march moves per turn for foot troops, but the rules also apply this limit to all mounted elements. What are your design thoughts about limiting the possibility of multiple moves for light horse troops? Would it be possible to allow a third tactical move per turn for Horse Bow and Javelin Cavalry?

Maerk
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:46 am

Maerk wrote: Thanks for the hint, David. Being full of enthusiasm about the possibilities of march moves, it seems that we missed "a second tactical move" in the rules paragraph :-) It certainly makes sense to limit the number of march moves per turn for foot troops, but the rules also apply this limit to all mounted elements. What are your design thoughts about limiting the possibility of multiple moves for light horse troops? Would it be possible to allow a third tactical move per turn for Horse Bow and Javelin Cavalry?
We'll consider it, but probably not. Horsebow and Javelin Cavalry already are so fast that a double move can take them a really long way. If a player uses some foresight and starts his move a turn earlier (i.e., march moves them on the turn before as well) they can pretty-much get anywhere a march move will take them. Requiring a smidge of advance planning selects for better generalship rather than just rolling a 6 for command points at the right time. Plus, of course, the whole idea of different movement rates is a bit arbitrary -- it gives the right impact in the game, but in the real world the horses that Horsebow ride are no faster than those of Elite Cavalry, or Knights for that matter. So making a special rule that differentiates Horsebow (or Javelin Cavalry) from Elite Cavalry or Knights would only make sense if there was some evidence that historically the Mongols really had problems with their Elite Cavalry keeping up with their Horsebow, or that the Alans had problems with their Knights keeping formation with their Horsebow, or that the Nobles of the Visigoths had trouble keeping up with their Javelin Cavalry followers.

Now we're not changing movement rates -- as I said, having Elite Cavalry/Knights be slower than Horsebow/Javelin Cavalry creates a number of positive impacts on the game (disengagement, for one) -- but we'd have to have strong evidence before we'd want to introduce a class-level distinction that gives Horsebow or Javelin Cavalry even more mobility on march moves than the significant advantage they have already.

Hope this helps explain our thinking!
DK
Maerk
Levy

Post by Maerk » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:35 am

David Kuijt wrote:(...)
We'll consider it, but probably not. (...) Requiring a smidge of advance planning selects for better generalship rather than just rolling a 6 for command points at the right time. (...) but we'd have to have strong evidence before we'd want to introduce a class-level distinction that gives Horsebow or Javelin Cavalry even more mobility on march moves than the significant advantage they have already.
Hope this helps explain our thinking!
Yes it does, thank you, David!
I cannot comment on possible historical evidence of differences in movement rates between lightly and more heavily armed mounted troops, but I like your point about good generalship in the game. Probably I have got too much used to the possibility of multiple moves for Light Horses in DBA 2.2 and 2.2+. We will need a few more Triumph! games to get a feeling for this issue, looking forward to it.
best,
Maerk
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:44 am

One of the strengths of Triumph! IMHO is the elimination of special rules (exceptions on exception) for certain troop types and unique rules being contained on 'battle cards.' Introducing new players to Triumph! In our group has been easier than the legacy system.

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
Brian Caskey
Squire

Post by Brian Caskey » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:42 pm

Perhaps Greg should get a Plus 2 on his first low CP dice roll - for actually being able to implement a curse??

Just saying - lots of people try but not many succeed
Brian Caskey

Sgt Maj Centurion - the Legion Builder

I love Thistle & Rose Figures