Sharp Johnny: Historicon 2017 Campaign Theme Event

Please post info about upcoming TRIUMPH! events and tournaments
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Re: Sharp Johnny: Historicon 2017 Campaign Theme Event

Post by Bill Hupp » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:57 am

Free companies have a battle card for Mounted Infantry for English Longbowmen (+½ pt per stand).

Could you explain how this would work? Does it require Mounted infantry figures that then dismount to become archers? Would these be Bad Cavalry?

I ask because T&R has some pretty cool looking Mounted Infantry figures with horses with chickens, pigs and loot on the horses that I would imagine would work well for those stands.

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:47 am

Bill Hupp wrote:Free companies have a battle card for Mounted Infantry for English Longbowmen (+½ pt per stand).

Could you explain how this would work?
Mobile Infantry:
Cost: ½ per stand, round up.

Stands may start the game in mobile form (on a square base) or in their normal foot form, chosen at deployment.

Rules Change: While in mobile form stands function as follows:
  • Movement is 6mu in open terrain and 3mu in difficult terrain.
  • Archers or Pavises may not engage in missile combat (except as targets) while in mobile form.
  • May not move within 4mu of enemy. If they start a bound within 4mu of enemy they may only dismount (permanently losing their conveyance) as a 1 command-point group move.
  • If they are given movement commands while riding (while in mobile mode) they may dismiss their conveyance at the end of that move at no cost. Replace their Mobile form with a normal stand for that troop type. Movement on the turn of dismounting is at the mounted movement rate above.
  • If attacked while in mobile mode the stand fights as its infantry type but with a -1 combat modifier. If it suffers a negative combat result then it is converted to the normal foot type after all required results (including any required fall-back etc.) are completed.
Converting from a Mobile Infantry base to their normal infantry base changes their base depth; if a group or column including such troops converts, shift stands forward like a compressed accordion so the group is still a group after the conversion is complete [insert reference to an explanatory picture here]

Designer’s Notes
This rule represents infantry who have the option to start the game riding on horses, carts, camels, mules, or whatever to gain increased mobility. These infantry are not trained to fight while mounted, and but while being conveyed they are more mobile than usual.

Armies: HYW English archers, Assyrian or Neo Elamite Kallapani, Kyrenean Greek hoplites on carts, and many more.
DK
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Thanks DK,

By a square base I presume you mean a 40mm x 40mm base? So a 40mm x 40mm basing of mounted infantry, to be replaced by the archer/longbowmen stand along the front edge? Would you use 4 mounted figures or 3? (4 is probably cooler.)

1/2 stand = 1 stand makes sense, but can you give a round up example? That is, if I have 2 archer stands I presume it is 1 point, but if I have 1 stand it is 1 point too. Does that imply you could not use 1/2 point for mounted archers and 1/2 point for dismounting knights?

Also, these are Battleline troops per Meshwesh?

Never having used mounted archers before, is it worth it? What can they do besides grab terrain or go after a camp? (Tony, since you indicated a liking of Free Companies have you used them before or in any legacy system?) Are they good on a flank attack?

I may not be able to avoid taking these for the cool factor.

Bill
Bill Hupp
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:19 am

Bill Hupp wrote: By a square base I presume you mean a 40mm x 40mm base?
If your bases are 40mm wide, yes. 60mm x 60mm or 80mm x 80mm if you use those scales.
Bill Hupp wrote:So a 40mm x 40mm basing of mounted infantry, to be replaced by the archer/longbowmen stand along the front edge? Would you use 4 mounted figures or 3? (4 is probably cooler.)
That's an artistic decision. 3 is going to be the most clear, though -- won't get confused with Cataphracts, and won't be crowded. Personally, I might use a mix of 2 mounted and 2 foot archers. But it depends upon figure availability.
Bill Hupp wrote: 1/2 stand = 1 stand makes sense, but can you give a round up example?
1/2 point, not 1/2 stand.

7 stands of Mobile Infantry that are archers would be 28 points for the Archers and 3.5 pts for the Battle Card Mobile Infantry on those Archers for a total of 31.5 pts. You can't round down (forget) that 0.5 -- you can't use 17 pts of other stuff.
Bill Hupp wrote: That is, if I have 2 archer stands I presume it is 1 point, but if I have 1 stand it is 1 point too. Does that imply you could not use 1/2 point for mounted archers and 1/2 point for dismounting knights?
What you're asking is whether we would force rounding before adding or adding before rounding. That's a little fussy, Bill. If you have 3.5 pts spent on one thing, and 2.5 pts spent on another, that adds to 6, not 7.
Bill Hupp wrote: Also, these are Battleline troops per Meshwesh?
They are what they are -- some Mobile Infantry might be Battleline, and some might not. Whatever Meshwesh says.
Bill Hupp wrote: Never having used mounted archers before, is it worth it? What can they do besides grab terrain or go after a camp? (Tony, since you indicated a liking of Free Companies have you used them before or in any legacy system?) Are they good on a flank attack?
Their strategy is only limited by your creativity.

I would say "it depends". It depends upon lots of stuff. I can see Elamite Kallapani being very useful in historical matchups because Bow Levy are useful troops but are so stinking slow. Send out four Kallapani (Bow Levy with Mobile Infantry battle card) and you could zoom them to a useful blocking position and really mess up the enemy Chariots. Chariots really don't like Bow Levy. And if you are Elamites, you have a LOT of Bow Levy.

Assyrian Kallapani (Light Foot or Raiders with Mobile Infantry battle card) might be less useful, because Light Foot (in particular) are already pretty damn fast.

Kyrenean Greek Heavy Foot/Mobile Infantry on carts might be pretty useful -- double the speed, and Heavy Foot are fairly effective except for their speed.

HYW English or Free Company Archer/Mobile Inf are probably really good -- missile fire is a very powerful thing, and getting a couple of stands of Archers to somewhere critical in time could be a dominant move.

But back to the short answer -- it depends. Do you play battles of maneuver? They might do well for you, then. Do you play frontal slogs? Then they'll be wasted points.
Bill Hupp wrote: I may not be able to avoid taking these for the cool factor.
There's that, too. I've got me some Elamite and Assyrian Kallapani both in the painting queue for that reason alone.
DK
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:11 am

DK,

Thanks. They are going on the painting table. I'll post progress pictures.

Bill
Bill Hupp
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Hungarian Horsebow are getting ready for the Campaign.
Attachments
IMG_2936.JPG
IMG_2936.JPG (597.44 KiB) Viewed 5707 times
David Schlanger
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Schlanger » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Just a heads up that 8 of the slots for this event are available via the PEL and tickets. We need to make sure that any player who shows up with a ticket gets in to the game. That said, the tickets were intended for new players and players who wouldn't normally be aware of our campaigns and the Triumph! rules. We appreciate your support and help in getting additional new players interested in Triumph!

Total signups so far: 11
Recent signups: Brian Kaskey

Armies Available (18):
  • Swiss Cantons (0-1): Tim Myers (needs loaner army)
  • Medieval German Princes (1-3)
    • available
    • available
    • available
  • Medieval German Citystates (0-2):
    • Scott Kastler
    • <available>
  • Post-Mongol Hungarian (0-1): Rod Cain
  • Early Burgundian (1): Wendy Myers (needs loaner army)
  • <available> Medieval French (1-2)
    • Brian Kaskey
    • available
  • Italian Condotta (1-4):
    • Spencer Ginder
    • Mike Guth
    • <available>
    • <available>
  • Free Company (1-4):
    • Tony Aguilar
    • Mitch Harbach
    • Luke Harbach
    • Bill Hupp
David Schlanger
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Schlanger » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:14 pm

Also, If you can bring a loaner or two of any of the following... it would be great:

Medieval German Prince (need 1x)
Army 1- (DS loaner)
Army 2 - (Rod loaner)
Army 3 - Need

Medieval German Citystate [COVERED]
Army 1 - (DS loaner)

Swiss Canton (need 1x)
Army 1 - Need

Italian Condotta (need 2x)
Army 1 - Need
Army 2 - Need

Medieval French [COVERED]
Army 1 - (Rod loaner)

Early Burgundian (need 1x)
Army 1 Need

If you can bring 1 or 2 please post here and I will keep track so we don't duplicate effort!

Thanks,
DS
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:03 pm

I can bring a German Prince and a French army....

Since DK won't be there to make fun of their slightly dated armor :P
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:44 pm

Here's the map for the Sharp Johnny Campaign.
Free Companies.jpg
Free Companies.jpg (63.72 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
Additional to the above, note the following details about the map:
  • There is no path directly from Hungary to Nuremberg. You gotta go through Bavaria.
  • Naples and Hungary count as if they are distance 1 from each other by the sea route shown.
  • Naples and Provence count as if they are distance 1 from each other by the sea route shown.
  • Lorraine and Provence are adjacent.
DK