Grand Triumph Doubles at Historicon 2017!

Please post info about upcoming TRIUMPH! events and tournaments
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Grand Triumph Doubles at Historicon 2017!

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:42 pm

There are few glories as glorious as doubles games, where you and a partner compete against another pair of players. Victory is that much sweeter with someone to share it with, and defeat with a partner can lead to blamecasting, bitter recriminations, shattered friendships and divorce. What's not to like?!?

So come and participate in the Grand Triumph Doubles Challenge! Grand Triumph is a modification of the successful Triumph! fast-play game for ancients and medieval warfare, where two players on a side run a triple-size Triumph army (144 pts). Teams are responsible for bringing their own armies and joie de vivre, and terrain if they have it -- boards will and terrain will be supplied (although terrain may be limited if there are a lot of teams signing up).

See the Triumph! online army lists at http://meshwesh.wgcwar.com/home for individual army lists. Use triple the army minimums and maximums if no ally is taken; if a single ally is taken use double the army list minimums and maximums for the main army and a full normal-sized army list for the ally.

More details coming soon. Teams are strongly encouraged to sign up in advance here (although they do not need to reveal what army list they are taking). There is a long tradition in doubles tournaments in legacy games of advance trash-talk, and we would like that tradition to continue into the glorious future.

Ask any questions here if you have them. Initial estimate is that games will run in about a 2.5 hour slot; how many games will depend upon how many signups we have, but we're hoping for at least two. It is our intent to support as many teams as wish to play -- all you need is to have your own legal army. More details will be described on www.wgcwar.com/GrandTriumph.html [webpage NOT ACTIVE YET] as soon as we have them up, including the modifications for the Triumph! rules to work for triple-size armies. Probably by the end of the week.
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Grand Triumph Doubles at Historicon 2017!

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Signups So Far:
  • Two Davids! (David Kuijt and David Schlanger)
I'm sending out a Challenge to:
  • Tim and Wendy Myers
  • David and Gavin Conrad
  • Spencer and Christina Ginder
  • Jonathan and Alex Bostwick
  • Rod Cain and Brian Peruski
And anyone else, of course -- but I know all the above, and my heralds are riding on fast steeds, bringing flowery words of braggadocio and disdain even now, and throwing down the gauntlet at your respective feet. Meet us in battle or hang your heads in shame!!! :mrgreen:
DK
kdoenitz
Levy

Post by kdoenitz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Wendy and I will start planning for Historicon. We will improve on our individual 1-5 record from the Cold Wars tournament (the one victory was when I beat Wendy) to beat the snot out of everyone at Historicon. And to all those we beat - vae victis.

Tim
Wendy
Levy

Post by Wendy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:04 pm

kdoenitz wrote: (the one victory was when I beat Wendy)
Tim
He had to point that out, of course. :roll:
"...the woman warrior who is armed with wit and courage will be among the first to celebrate victory."
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:14 pm

David,
I would be happy to accept that challenge, but I am afraid I have to dig up a partner because I don't think Brian will make Historicon.... :(
Spencer
Squire

Post by Spencer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:27 pm

Add team "Comedy & Tragedy."
Chris is teaching children's theater camp that week, but we are trying to work out something for Friday.
michaelguth
Squire

Post by michaelguth » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:13 am

Would anyone like to pair up with me for doubles?

Mike Guth
David Schlanger
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Schlanger » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:46 pm

So the ally links on Meshwesh right now can be difficult to follow, since for Grand Triumph! you need to get back to the FULL ally army listing. If you have any questions about which army listing your ally references, please ask here and we will double check for you. At some point Meshwesh will be enhanced to make sure the link is there and it is clear.

DS
Kontos
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Kontos » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:42 pm

I would have liked to Michael but I have to man my table in the flea market. Besides, I haven't even played a game yet. Let's plan for Fall In. See you Thursday @ Huzzah.
David Schlanger
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Schlanger » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Here are the Draft Grand TRIUMPH! rules that we will be using at Historicon.
See attached.

DS

GrandTriumphRules.pdf
(111.2 KiB) Downloaded 467 times