Post by David Schlanger » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:12 pm

Detailed Schedule:

Thursday 7PM [Lampeter]
The Battle of Kadesh
Event Scale: 15 mm
Rules Used: TRIUMPH! fast play ancient and medieval battles
Duration: 4 hours
Maximum Players: 8
Description: It is 1274 BC and Ramses II wants to prove he is the greatest Pharaoh of all-time. What better way to do that than to invade the neighboring Hittite Empire. Ramses leads his forces North where he finds a trap laid near the city of Kadesh by King Muwatalli II. What happens next is one of the largest chariot battles in recorded History.
TRIUMPH! rules are easy to learn and will be taught by the GM as needed. Armies will be provided. Young gamers are welcome, but anyone under 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
GM: Brian Peruski and Rod Cain

Friday 9AM and 11AM [Distlefink]
Epic Conflicts of the Ancient World: An Introduction to TRIUMPH! fast play rules for ancient and medieval battles
Sponsor: Washington Grand Company (www.wgcwar.com)
Duration: 2 hours
Event Scale: 15mm
Maximum Players: 8 per session
Description: Take on the role of Caesar, the Great Khan or Pharaoh of Egypt and lead your forces against your brutal enemies as you battle your way across four different matchups from Biblical, Classical, Dark Ages and Medieval times. This walk-up game opportunity FOR WHICH YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE REGISTERED introduces players to the fast-play TRIUMPH! ancient and medieval rules. Play one game or play a dozen. TRIUMPH! tutors are on hand to help introduce you to the game, teach and answer questions. History awaits; will you be victorious, or shall your severed head decorate an enemy’s spear?
Rules are easy to learn and will be taught by the GM as needed. Armies will be provided.
GM: Jack Sheriff and the TRIUMPH! Team

Friday 1PM and 3PM [Distlefink]
Epic Conflicts of the Ancient World: An Introduction to TRIUMPH! fast play rules for ancient and medieval battles
Description: Take on the role of Caesar, the Great Khan or Pharaoh of Egypt and lead your forces against your brutal enemies as you battle your way across four different matchups from Biblical, Classical, Dark Ages and Medieval times. This walk-up game opportunity FOR WHICH YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE REGISTERED introduces players to the fast-play TRIUMPH! ancient and medieval rules. Play one game or play a dozen. TRIUMPH! tutors are on hand to help introduce you to the game, teach and answer questions. History awaits; will you be victorious, or shall your severed head decorate an enemy’s spear?
Rules are easy to learn and will be taught by the GM as needed. Armies will be provided.
GM: Terence McPartland and the TRIUMPH! Team

Friday 2PM [Distlefink]
Rome invades! Battle of the Medway, 43AD
Description: Caligula’s corpse had only been a few years dead when Rome decided it was time to expand its empire, and Britain was a nice digestible meal for that purpose. The mighty Catuvellauni under Tugodumnus and Caratacus collected all the allies they could muster and met the might of Rome at the river Medway; a force of four legions and as many auxiliaries fought them for two days there, with rulership of Britain hanging in the balance. On the side of Rome, can you win immortal glory for yourself and conquer the Catuvellauni, overawing the petty kingdoms of Britain to impose your rule? Or on the side of Britain, can you defy and repulse these foreign invaders and show them that woad and fury beats training and good armor?
TRIUMPH! rules are easy to learn and will be taught by the GM as needed. Armies will be provided. Young gamers are welcome, but anyone under 15 must be accompanied by an adult. See also the Epic Conflicts of the Ancient World walk-up Triumph! intro games run (Friday and Saturday mornings/afternoons as an additional option for familiarizing yourself with the rules in advance.)
GM: David Schlanger and David Kuijt

Friday 7PM [Lampeter]
TRIUMPH! Open Tournament 15mm (Lampeter)
Maximum Players: Unlimited
Duration: 4 rounds
Description: Command an army using the TRIUMPH! fast play ancient and medieval rules. See our online army database meshwesh.wgcwar.com and pick any 48 point army for this event! There will be historical matchups in the initial round if possible, but the intent is to allow anyone to field any army available to play. We will use a simple point scoring system to determine a winner, but the emphasis will be on having FUN!
Loaner Armies will be available.
TRIUMPH! rules are easy to learn and will be taught by the GM as needed. Armies will be provided. Young gamers are welcome, but anyone under 15 must be accompanied by an adult. See also the Epic Conflicts of the Ancient World walk-up Triumph! intro games run (Friday and Saturday mornings/afternoons as an additional option for familiarizing yourself with the rules in advance.)
GM: David Schlanger and Washington Grand Company

Saturday 9AM and 11AM [Distlefink]
GM: Larry Weichel and the TRIUMPH! Team

Saturday 1PM and 3PM [Distlefink]
GM: Chris Brantley and the TRIUMPH! Team

Saturday 1PM [Distlefink]
The Battle of Kadesh
Event Scale: 15 mm
Description: It is 1274 BC and Ramses II wants to prove he is the greatest Pharaoh of all-time. What better way to do that than to invade the neighboring Hittite Empire. Ramses leads his forces North where he finds a trap laid near the city of Kadesh by King Muwatalli II. What happens next is one of the largest chariot battles in recorded History.
TRIUMPH! rules are easy to learn and will be taught by the GM as needed. Armies will be provided. Young gamers are welcome, but anyone under 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
GM: Rod Cain and Brian Peruski

Saturday 6PM [Distlefink]
Claudian Invasion of Britain, 43-54 AD (Campaign Theme)
Sponsor: Washington Grand Company (www.wgc.com)
Rules Used: TRIUMPH! Fast play ancient and medieval battles
Maximum Players: 12
Description: Command an army using the TRIUMPH! Fast play ancient during the Claudian Invasion of Britain.
Ancient Britain is in turmoil. The Catuvellauni have displaced the Trinovantes as the most powerful kingdom in the south-east, and are pressing hard against the Atrebates. But the Atrebates have a powerful ally, just across the English Channel – Rome itself. Insane Caligula had only been assassinated a few years earlier, and mighty Rome was looking for a bit of external activity to distract itself from internal issues. What better than expanding the borders a bit? The Atrebates might be inviting the Lion to dinner.
Armies will be provided, and included Romans, Caledonians, Scots-Irish, and a whole mess of British. TRIUMPH! rules are easy to learn; rules will be taught as needed. Young gamers are welcome, but anyone under 15 must be accompanied by an adult. See also the Holy War walk-up Triumph! intro games run (Friday and Saturday mornings/afternoons as an additional option for familiarizing yourself with the rules in advance.)
GM: David Kuijt, David Schlanger and the TRIUMPH! Team
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: TRIUMPH! at Cold Wars 2017

Post by David Kuijt » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:07 pm

Looks brilliant.

I've got to say, though, that "emphasis on having FUN" in the Open Tournament is a little misleading. Because I have the most FUN when I crush my enemies, drive them before me, and hear the lamentations of their women. So fun for me often means soul-crushing depression and feelings of inadequacy for others :twisted:

Now which army to use: Tamil Indian with Raiders and Elephants, Classical Indian with Elephants and a huge wad of Garbage (Bow Levy and Horde), Mongol Conquest with massive maneuver and Horsebow, various Romans with Elite Foot, gorgeous Sarmatians with the unstoppable wave of Knights (all battles guaranteed to be over by the fourth turn), Early Swiss with Raiders gone Insane, Later Nine Bows Libyans with the Wall O' Rabble (patent pending!), Hundred Year's War English with their good maneuver and Longbows out the wazoo... deciding will be agony!

If only I had a proper Tang Chinese army done, with their Million Man Army of 6-12 Horde -- now THAT would be cool.
DK
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:11 am

David Kuijt wrote:Looks brilliant.

Classical Indian with Elephants and a huge wad of Garbage (Bow Levy and Horde)
That was my evil plan, I already called dibs on this army :P
kdoenitz
Levy

Post by kdoenitz » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:42 pm

What a lovely way to start the day. A quote from Conan. We used to make all our fraternity pledges learn that. Somewhere in the US there are about 50 guys who were in college in the mid-80s that can still probably recite that quote. Can't believe Conan didn't win an Oscar. Such a formative movie for a young, pliable mind...

[quote="David Kuijt"]

I've got to say, though, that "emphasis on having FUN" in the Open Tournament is a little misleading. Because I have the most FUN when I crush my enemies, drive them before me, and hear the lamentations of their women.
kdoenitz
Levy

Post by kdoenitz » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:43 pm

For the Claudian invasion of Britain are you planning to use hill forts, fortifications, walls, etc. or just a straight up battle with no fortifications?
David Schlanger
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Schlanger » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:40 pm

kdoenitz wrote:For the Claudian invasion of Britain are you planning to use hill forts, fortifications, walls, etc. or just a straight up battle with no fortifications?
We may use Battle Cards for fortified camps and fortifications. It will depend on how our Battle Card system development progresses, but I suspect it will work out fine to use something along those lines! Thanks for the question and the suggestion.

DS
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:09 pm

kdoenitz wrote:For the Claudian invasion of Britain are you planning to use hill forts, fortifications, walls, etc. or just a straight up battle with no fortifications?
As DS says, we are on track to have a strongly-tested initial version of the Battle Card system available for Cold Wars. One of the battle cards is a "fortified camp", which is a reasonable representation of an oppidum's participation in a field battle. There won't be any representation of circumstances where the Romans assaulted an oppidum with all the British forces inside -- that sort of thing requires a completely different game system to handle sieges and assaults. Using a field-battle system to represent a siege or assaults of a system of fortifications is like using a hammer to remove a screw. You can do it, but that doesn't make it the right tool.
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:13 pm

David Kuijt wrote:Looks brilliant.

Classical Indian with Elephants and a huge wad of Garbage (Bow Levy and Horde)
Rod wrote: That was my evil plan, I already called dibs on this army :P
Dibs? Dibs? What is this, grade school?!?

Okay, I'll take Sung Chinese with Pavises and Artillery. (not that I OWN that army, but Khurasan makes some brilliant minis for it...)

Actually, DS has already told me that it would be bad form to crush everyone in our first ever Open tournament. I told him that "bad form" was my middle name, but I'm probably only going to get to play if numbers are odd.
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:15 pm

kdoenitz wrote:What a lovely way to start the day. A quote from Conan. We used to make all our fraternity pledges learn that. Somewhere in the US there are about 50 guys who were in college in the mid-80s that can still probably recite that quote. Can't believe Conan didn't win an Oscar. Such a formative movie for a young, pliable mind...
I strongly suspect that there are about 50,000 guys from the mid-80s that can recite that quote! It's like "Badges? We don't need no steenking BADGES!"
DK