Stream Terrain

Share information about terrain making and battlefield mats
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Stream Terrain

Post by David Kuijt » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:38 pm

Anyone have any ideas for constructing stream terrain? I'm planning to have a terrain-building party over the Christmas break, and making some good streams is a high priority.

It needs to lie flat and not move around much under normal play. I'd like to avoid too many fiddly bits (small corners, for example).

Streams are 1mu to 2mu in width.
DK
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Re: Stream Terrain

Post by Rod » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:42 am

Hobby lobby has sheets of "stiff felt" in 12"X18".... various colors.

Paint it with modge podge to seal it first, then acrylic paint as you like. Can be flocked with various stuff to make banks and the center can be gloss coated (Modge podge gloss) to make a water look. Lays flat and tends to stick nicely to canvas mats.

Planning to do something like this for Kadesh when I get back.
Wendy
Levy

Re: Stream Terrain

Post by Wendy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:55 pm

We haven't tested this yet, but we're going to try using cheap yoga mats for terrain and water. They won't move, are fairly thin, and come in a variety of colors and patterns. If you try it, let us know... and we'll do the same (with twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one...).
"...the woman warrior who is armed with wit and courage will be among the first to celebrate victory."