Elamite Levy Bow kallapani.

A place to share information about figures and other models
markleslie4
Squire

Elamite Levy Bow kallapani.

Post by markleslie4 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:14 am

Just starting to move over to Triumph beginning with a half finished DBA Neo-Assyrian army that dropped off the painting queue sometime ago. Then I will be starting to adjust the three other armies I have for this period, one of those being the Neo-Elamites.

Now, in another thread, it was mentioned that kallapani would be a Battle Card, my question is how this troop type is to be modeled on the tabletop? Will I still have use for my rather spiffy kallapani carts, will I also need extra Bow Levy elements to replace the carts when or if they dismount?

Rather spiffy kallapani.
Image]
Thief. Reaver. Slayer.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Elamite Levy Bow kallapani.

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:18 pm

Your spiffy kallapani are necessary to represent the dudes while they are the mounted version of mounted infantry; you will need to have some Bow Levy stands to represent them when they dismount and dismiss their horses and carts (since there is no remounting until after the battle is over and everyone goes back to camp for a beer).

Mounted Infantry is the name for the battle card; it applies to a number of other things like Kyrene hoplites, Assyrian kallapani, HYW English longbow, and so on. It does NOT apply to anything that fought while mounted, like HYW Hobilars that could fight on horses or on foot -- those are covered by another battle card.

I've got some Elamite kallapani in progress myself. The bow levy are all done, though. Well, at least 13 stands of them. Probably need some more.
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Elamite Levy Bow kallapani.

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:39 pm

Here is the Mounted Infantry battle card (text not final):
Cost: ½ per stand, round up.
Play: reveal at start of game.
Rules: stands may start the game in mounted form (on a square base) or in their normal dismounted form, chosen at deployment. While in mounted form they function as follows:
  • Movement is 6mu in open terrain and 3mu in difficult terrain.
  • May not move within 4mu of enemy.
  • May dismount at the end of any move at no cost. Replace with a normal stand for that troop type. Movement on the turn of dismounting is at the mounted movement rate above.
  • If attacked while mounted (missile or close combat), suffer a -1 combat factor and must dismount (replace with a normal stand for that troop type) when the combat is rolled.
DK