Slav or Wend

A place to talk about MESHWESH army lists
vodnik
Squire

Slav or Wend

Post by vodnik » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:34 pm

Many wargamers use for their research of a particular army the DBMM army lists from Phil Barker. But there are a lot of wrong informations in German & Slaw lists. The main oponent of Charlemagne as well as other German kings in north & east Germany were Slawish trybes of 2 rival nations; Obotrites and Wilzen (in english translated as Weleti or Wilzians) & Danish. With the assistance of the Obotrites could Charlemagne subdue the Saxons. As a gift the Obotrites got the former Saxon territories.
In the Ancient Bohemian Legends the first story show us the origin of the Czech people. It is written there that this people was comming from the east from a county called croatia. There is also an old Czech tribe called Croats living in the todays north Czech Republik near todays Poland.
In the army lists of field of glory in "Wolves From The Sea " you can find an army called; Great Moravian, 833-907. That army is described as fighting with javelins but the Maravians were famous as furious fighters with the "bradavice" the large axe. In DBA3 that fighters you can find in the Croatian list 2/26? Also in that rules you can read about northern Slavs; 3/1a Wends of the Baltic coast were fightng the Rus. But the largest part of the southern Baltic coast is Germany and Poland in the east. In the east of the Baltic coast are the Baltic lands. There were not much Slavs living there but Baltic people, Finns & Siberian tribes.
Also in Austria you could find after about 500 AD a slavic population in Carinthia. Nowadays the slavic population is assimilated with the Austrians or mowed to Slovenia over the border.
...Hanta Yo!..
kdrake5
Levy

Re: Slav or Wend

Post by kdrake5 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:04 am

Vodnik, I don't mean to derail your thread, but as long as the subject is up in relation to the army lists in Triumph!, I have to ask: which list on Meshwesh is best suited for modeling a Great Moravian army? My guess is "Bohemian Slav" over the "Slav or Wend" list, but since there are no historical blurbs on Meshwesh (as opposed to the DBx books) and the territory of Great Moravia covered a lot more than just Bohemia, I couldn't be too sure. "Slav or Wend" seems to cover a lot of different tribes, given how many enemies there are for that list compared to Bohemian Slav.

All that being said, I think all of the lists would benefit greatly from some brief clarification inserted somewhere in each.
vodnik
Squire

Re: Slav or Wend

Post by vodnik » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:08 pm

For me it is clar i wold use for Great Morava the Feudal Croatian list. It starts in 811, after the unification with the Balaton Principality (Nitra) in 833 with large parts of todays Hungary it could resist to frankish attacks. In 907 it was conquered by the Magyars.
...Hanta Yo!..