Optional general's type again

A place to talk about MESHWESH army lists
Andreas Johansson
Companion-at-Arms

Optional general's type again

Post by Andreas Johansson » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:02 pm

I was looking at the Melukhkhan and Pre-Vedic Indian list, which "General's Troop Type: Light Spear", "Spearmen: Light Spear or Heavy Foot: 1-8", and no other troops that can be Light Spear.

Do I understand correctly that this means that if I take at least one element of spearmen as Light Spear, the general has to be Light Spear, but if I take them all as Heavy Foot, the general's element can be any type?

If so, this seems a tad strange. Light Spear and Heavy Foot are, presumably, different interpretations of the same troop type, namely spearmen, so if the general has to be a spearman in one interpretation, presumably he ought likewise in the other.

While at this particular list, I'm also slightly surprised by the "Delta" climate classification. The iconic sites of Mohenjo-Daro and Harappa are well inland.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Optional general's type again

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:43 pm

Andreas Johansson wrote:I was looking at the Melukhkhan and Pre-Vedic Indian list, which "General's Troop Type: Light Spear", "Spearmen: Light Spear or Heavy Foot: 1-8", and no other troops that can be Light Spear.

Do I understand correctly that this means that if I take at least one element of spearmen as Light Spear, the general has to be Light Spear, but if I take them all as Heavy Foot, the general's element can be any type?

If so, this seems a tad strange. Light Spear and Heavy Foot are, presumably, different interpretations of the same troop type, namely spearmen, so if the general has to be a spearman in one interpretation, presumably he ought likewise in the other.

While at this particular list, I'm also slightly surprised by the "Delta" climate classification. The iconic sites of Mohenjo-Daro and Harappa are well inland.
In this case it looks like an omission, where the original focus was 100% Light Spear and we later decided that some of them could be Heavy Foot, but missed out on updating the General's type. I'll take a look.

On a related note, the low-frequency-number Generals stands system (i.e., where the General's troop type has a frequency number of 0-1) is going to undergo an update in the immediate future to resolve that problem with a cascading priority system. 0-1 frequency for Generals is an issue which exists for about 40 or so army lists out of 650. It requires two steps -- me going through all 8000 lines of the database and entering the fixed data, then Jack implementing the coding change to show the new values. Before Christmas, most likely.

Delta is a climate classification that includes large riverine locations and cultures upriver, like Babylon and Thebes and a variety of others. In many respects Delta is very similar to Arable with a required Waterway. We couldn't find a good name for the topography that fitted both Delta and Upriver Major River Based Cultures, so we just went with Delta even though some cultures aren't actually in the expanding lowest dumpout zones of a major river.
DK
Andreas Johansson
Companion-at-Arms

Re: Optional general's type again

Post by Andreas Johansson » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:29 am

Thanks for the reply.

For the climate type, might "Riverine" be an option?