Ancient British BC9 DISMOUNTING MID-BATTLE? Battle Card

A place to talk about MESHWESH army lists
skc
Squire

Ancient British BC9 DISMOUNTING MID-BATTLE? Battle Card

Post by skc » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:09 pm

I see Ancient British Battle Taxis only have the BC8 'Dismounting at Deployment' Battlecard.' Would not the BC9 'Dismounting Mid-Battle' Battle Card also be applicable? (even if Warband instead of Warriors were used?)
As far as I've read they used the Battle-Taxi as a means to get their foot troops quickly into proximity with the enemy, where they would then dismount and fight on foot.

Can we use this as a 'house rule' and/or is there a possibility to edit this into the Meshwesh Ancient British army List?

I am about to return my Ancient British to the Battle table coming weekend, and would appreciate if anyone has anything, any suggestions, on this. (Now I have my Boudica! - I know, she has 'Frank Frazetta' looks, (& 4 Horses) but she will also be used in a planned Celtic mythology Fantasy army.)
Boudica painted .jpg
Boudica painted .jpg (325.99 KiB) Viewed 5674 times
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Ancient British BC9 DISMOUNTING MID-BATTLE? Battle Card

Post by David Kuijt » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:23 am

skc wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:09 pm
I see Ancient British Battle Taxis only have the BC8 'Dismounting at Deployment' Battlecard.' Would not the BC9 'Dismounting Mid-Battle' Battle Card also be applicable? (even if Warband instead of Warriors were used?)
As far as I've read they used the Battle-Taxi as a means to get their foot troops quickly into proximity with the enemy, where they would then dismount and fight on foot.

Can we use this as a 'house rule' and/or is there a possibility to edit this into the Meshwesh Ancient British army List?
Read the description of Battle Taxi again, Shawn. Their "get on, get off" is part of the way the stand type fights, and is built into their combat factors and combat results. It would be completely unhistorical to try to use the midbattle dismounting battle card -- those are for when a whole stand permanently changes type from mounted to foot, and fights that way thereafter, which is not in any way the way the battle taxi units ever fought.

Yes, you can use it as a house rule -- but I would advise against it, and it's never going to become part of Meshwesh, because that behavior is already built in. Just like horsebow getting shooting factors, or knights getting a charge bonus, are never becoming part of Meshwesh -- horsebow shooting is built into their combat factors and results (and why they can't be killed by most foot when doubled); knight charges are built into their combat factors and results (and why they shatter most foot if they beat them).
DK
skc
Squire

Post by skc » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:58 pm

Just one more query on this topic... In 'Dismounting at Deployment' there is still 1 point needed. Why? All that seems to happen is at deployment 2 BTaxis are replaced by 2 Warriors. Is it having the ability to choose one or the other, depending on terrain, opponent etc the advantage to justify this 1 point?

Thanks for feedback. Yes it pays to also read up the troop type descriptions to. (which I've finally done)
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:16 pm

skc wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:58 pm
Just one more query on this topic... In 'Dismounting at Deployment' there is still 1 point needed. Why? All that seems to happen is at deployment 2 BTaxis are replaced by 2 Warriors. Is it having the ability to choose one or the other, depending on terrain, opponent etc the advantage to justify this 1 point?
I'm not sure how you're thinking of this, Shawn -- it's a big advantage. Battle Taxis are very nice facing Light Foot. Warband are very nice facing Horde or Archers. Being able to switch between one and the other from one game to another is a big advantage. Very dense terrain? Dismount. Very open terrain? Stay mounted. Well worth 1 pt.
DK
skc
Squire

Post by skc » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:44 am

And been able to add in some Warrior types also an advantage in certain situations.