Legacy fall back rule

Anything else related to the TRIUMPH! rules
JonathanJ
Squire

Legacy fall back rule

Post by JonathanJ » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:31 am

First, thank you to the designers for all of your hard work. I'm loving the game.
As a person who played certain "legacy games" for years, this is exactly what I was hoping to find.

Out of curiosity, why did you stick with the base depth fall back rule common in "legacy games?"
It always annoyed me (in a minor way) that the base depth fall back led to slightly different outcomes in different scales.
Wouldn't it have been easy to just have one or two MU fallback based on base depth?

(Of course, it only affects some close order foot and seldom comes up in games so maybe it wasn't worth worrying about?)

Anyway, great work! Thank you.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Legacy fall back rule

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:43 am

You're very welcome.

re: fall back distance -- fast and easy to measure, and a major part of objecting to the relative distances was connected to the fact that the base depths made no sense unless you were playing DBm/mm, and sometimes not even then. Since we regularized the base depths to a significant extent (making them correspond to something that is actually useful and important to know -- whether a stand is close order or open order) the impetus to have a standard "fall back" distance mattered less. And fast and easy to measure is important.

Regarding different scales -- true, at least in 60mm base depth, but not a big deal. The fact that close order foot turned at the end of a line would have two recoils in 60mm base depth world but only one recoil in 40mm base depth world doesn't create an enormous disconnect to me. And some people who play bigger fig armies have been agitating for 80mm base depth for 28mm/30mm/32mm figures, which would make that point moot. The argument is simple enough -- modern figs after 30 years of scale creep do not fit well on 60mm base widths, or on normal base depths for that scale.
DK
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Re: Legacy fall back rule

Post by Rod » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:07 pm

I have a lot of 25mm/28mm on 60mm stands, but I would never suggest anyone follow that path.

They should be on 80mm wide bases and the problem goes away.