Ambush

Anything else related to the TRIUMPH! rules
Kontos
Companion-at-Arms

Ambush

Post by Kontos » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:57 pm

A few posts back DK asked for historical reference to foot ambushes. Toying around again, I had little incentive to bring my light foot out of difficult terrain to engage their heavier counterparts. So they hole up many times. I was thinking of a one use Ambush card usable by Light Foot, Light Spear, Skirmishers, Rabble and Bow Levy only attacking FROM difficult terrain into the open. Give the little guys some fun. Thoughts?
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Ambush

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:25 pm

There's already a card named "Ambush" being worked up, but that might not be what you're thinking about. In essence it allows an army with a history of effective ambush fighting to deploy non-Battleline open-order troops way forward and to the sides -- anywhere in difficult terrain outside the enemy's deployment zone that is more than 1mu from enemy. I haven't got the exact card here in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that's the basics.

To be clear, we are not currently considering any "gotcha" cards -- any surprise cards. All the cards we're looking at right now are (in essence) army-specific special rules that the opponent will be aware of from the start. No hidden cards.
DK
Kontos
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Kontos » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:46 pm

I understand the "gotcha" card reluctance but, after all, an ambush should be a surprise! :D

Triumph! will be a great game no matter which direction you guys take it. I am just throwing out some ideas after pushing some stands around. You never know what gems may come out of the mouths of babes.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Kontos wrote:I understand the "gotcha" card reluctance but, after all, an ambush should be a surprise! :D
Surprise happens all the time in history, but at the moment we're limiting "unexpected doom" concepts to special rules for scenarios rather than a main part of the game system.

We may consider gotcha cards at some point in the future, but there are social and game-balance reasons why we are avoiding them at the moment.
DK
Kontos
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Kontos » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:02 pm

David Kuijt wrote:
Kontos wrote:I understand the "gotcha" card reluctance but, after all, an ambush should be a surprise! :D
Surprise happens all the time in history, but at the moment we're limiting "unexpected doom" concepts to special rules for scenarios rather than a main part of the game system.

We may consider gotcha cards at some point in the future, but there are social and game-balance reasons why we are avoiding them at the moment.
You write 'em. I'll play 'em. :D